A Conversation for h2g2 Announcements

Monday 30 April, 2012: Announcements

Post 1

h2g2 Communications

Tech Update
--------------

Dear Researchers,

Ripley, the engine that has powered The Guide for so many years, has been struggling recently to keep up with increasing demands for Guide content. Help in the form of a new and more powerful engine, Pliny, is on the way, but Ripley needs help as soon as possible.

Therefore an early release of Pliny is being prepared to come online this coming weekend, May 5th and 6th. The early version of Pliny will contain features Readers use and as many of the features Researchers have asked for as possible.

Once most of the load has been shifted to Pliny, we hope Ripley will stabilize. This will permit the Tech Team to focus on developing the rest of Pliny's features. To find out more about Pliny, read Pastey's Post interview: A87754990

We thank everyone who has been volunteering so many hours evenings and weekends. However, volunteers shouldn't miss their chance to ...

Win a piece of Time Lord History
------------------------------------

Would you like to own a complete set of audio CDs of Shada, The Lost Adventure, written by Douglas Adams and narrated by Lalla Ward? If so, the Guide Editors have a competition for you. For more details, read Shada - The Competition: A87754765smiley - tardis

Post 2

Geggs

*cough* I think that should be Lalla Ward?

Geggs

Post 3

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

Every time I see an Announcement, it makes me *gulp* because it might be bad news...

Post 4

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Nah. smiley - winkeye It's all good news.

Post 5

Effers;England.

Will Post articles also get links to Twitter etc? I read Pastey's interview.

Post 6

Z

I believe that all entries will get a 'tweet' or 'share this' button. Even entries such as this one A87755566 which are just a couple of sub-headers waiting for the author to fill them in; though I doubt anyone will want to share an unfinished entry like that.

That said you can tweet / facebook h2g2 entries right at the moment, you just have to cut and paste the url into the appropriate box on facebook or twitter.

Post 7

TRiG (Ireland) A dog, so bade in office

"Tweet" and "Share this" buttons are fine ... mainly.

I'm not entirely happy with versions of those buttons which embed code from the sites in question, as that does reveal my browsing habits to other sites. But there are ways around that for clever coders.

TRiG.smiley - geek

Post 8

Effers;England.

All entries getting those buttons is good news Z. smiley - ok

Post 9

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

smiley - lurk

Post 10

aka Bel - A87832164

I have a 'Share on Twitter' button which I downloaded ages ago. It is VERY helpful for tweeting the Post articles each Monday. Before I had this, I had to copy and paste every single URL of every single article.

Post 11

Jackruss a Grand Master of Tea and Toast, Keeper of the comfy chair, who is spending a year dead for tax reasons! DNA!

I want answers, ney demand answers!

why does socks srink in the wash more than most other clothes

smiley - smiley just trying to break the tension smiley - biggrin

Post 12

MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

Use washing up liquid. Breaks the tension of the meniscus. Always worked for me.

MMF

smiley - musicalnote

Post 13

Jackruss a Grand Master of Tea and Toast, Keeper of the comfy chair, who is spending a year dead for tax reasons! DNA!

Ta! smiley - biggrinsmiley - bubbly

Key: Complain about this post