A Conversation for SEx - Science Explained

Faster than light neutrinos

Post 1

Wowbugger

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/roll-over-einstein-pillar-physics-challenged-194937846.html

"CERN says a neutrino beam fired from a particle accelerator near Geneva to a lab 454 miles (730 kilometers) away in Italy traveled 60 nanoseconds faster than the speed of light."

How the heck can you?

a) Fire a beam of light and a beam of neutrinos simultaneously?
b) Be able to verify that you did do a)
c) Detect the light beam and the Neutrinos with a method that has a consistent reponse time for both.
d) Be certain that the neutrinos that you detected are the ones that you sent.

I have always understood that these things are so small and weakly interacting that they practically pass right through the whole planet with barely a sniffle. How can we possibly have enough control over these things to perform an experiment of the likes of this?

Post 2

Taff at home

someone forgot to put a realy hot cup of tea smiley - teain the finite probbability generator

smiley - bat

Post 3

Wowbugger

You're a Jerk Dent... a Complete Kneebitter:smiley - bubbly

Post 4

Taff at home

its dark underground, we know the speed of dark is faster than the speed of light, how ever fast the light goes the dark is always there before itsmiley - winkeye

smiley - bat

Post 5

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

Nah.... I'm thinking roller skates. smiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - runsmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - runsmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - runsmiley - space

Post 6

Gnomon - time to move on

You get a guy with a stopwatch, and a big button. He presses the button to release the neutrinos and the light and starts the stopwatch at the same time, then when the light flashes inside the neutrino detector, he stops the stopwatch.

Easy! smiley - tongueincheek

Post 7

Gnomon - time to move on

As for d), neutrinos are detected very rarely, so if you press the button and at the predicted time you suddenly see some neutrinos, you can be sure they're your ones.

Post 8

hygienicdispenser

How can we know how these experiments are done? We can't know, and nor should we wish to know. We must simply have Faith. To question is to deny Faith. All Praise the Men In White Coats.

smiley - tongueincheek

Post 9

Titania (gone for lunch)

Aren't the CERN folks the ones that will cause the destruction of smiley - earth?

smiley - winkeye

Post 10

Gnomon - time to move on

That's the "large hardon collider"?

Post 11

Titania (gone for lunch)

http://xkcd.com/955/

Post 12

Taff at home

the nutrinos went under ground the light didn't, did they take into account the curveture of the earth, the underground bit being closer, it would look fastersmiley - winkeye

smiley - bat

Post 13

Argon0 (50 and feeling it - back for a bit)

Sensibly...

they didn't fire light at the same time... Its calculated against the theoretical maximum speed of light in a vaccuum.

Its not the first time this has been observed, though the other time was within the limits of error.

No one knows how this can happen. It breaks a LOT of the rules of physics/causality... We're all doomed...

Post 14

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

Brian Cox on this result.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15034852

Post 15

Argon0 (50 and feeling it - back for a bit)

TVM Clive, reposted to G+....

Post 16

BagginsLover

Brian Cox said-'(speed of light)is the universal speed limit'

Obviously they used a Gatso camera and so have a photographic evidence smiley - run

Post 17

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

Brian Cox is, to use one of his words, a total nobber. He suffers from this bizarre affliction where seems unable to accept even the possibility of anything he hasn't himself observed which, in a physicist, is a bit of handicap really.

Post 18

Taff at home

Brian Cox is the Magnus Pike of our generation, a comic, slightly bufoon who makes science interesting and accessable to the masses

you'll get fundy christian grannies going, ohh i like that Brian Cox he is such a nice boy, while listening to how god didn't make the universe

some of it will settle subliminaly

smiley - bat

Post 19

Alfster

Mister Dreadful - Mr. Dreadful

What other phenomena has he poo pooed apart from this one that has made you come to this conclusion?

Post 20

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

smiley - shrug It's hot, I've not been thinking straight.

He's still a total nobber, though. Can't stand the man.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more