A Conversation for SEx - Science Explained

Is it going to be life in an artificial pond ?

Post 1

Maria

I am going to set a small onE at my Primary school. I want them to look at microorganisms and do other activities I still have to think of/look for

Give me advices.

So far I know:
It must be in a shady área. Toó much sun will make lot of green algae appear.
There are plants that can clean the water.
I can get a plastic pond in a store
I would like to know how those microorganismos come to life in an artificial pond.

Muchas Gracias!

Post 2

Orcus

See answers in other thread smiley - smiley

If you want interesting microorganisms then I'd suggest getting a 'feed culture' - dunno if there's a starter kit you can get somewhere. A good alternative I'd suggest is to maybe just get a jam-jar full of water from a local, clean-ish water source like a small lake or stream. Should be teeming with things like water fleas...

Can't help much about plant life to keep the bio-diversity good. Certainly I would buy a pump and filter to aerate it or it will just stagnate and you'll get slufgy, anaerobic gloop bacteria, which is probably not what you're aiming at I'm guessing.

Post 3

Maria

anaerobic gloop bacteria"

no, but maybe I could have another pond to see that too!

Thank you very much for the ideas.smiley - smiley

Post 4

Orcus

No problem. A feed culture is how any microorganisms are grown in labs. Also in kitchens really, that's how yeast cultures for making bread were historically kept going and also yogurt.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more