A Conversation for I.C.A.R.U.S.

The Solution

Post 21

Icarus

I already said I'd buy stock in it.

The Solution

Post 22

Cheerful Dragon

I don't know if it's still true, but apparently German drivers had a reputation for 'driving on their insurance', i.e. failing to take sensible avoiding action if they knew that they would be in the right if there was an 'accident'. The following story is true:

A T.A. unit was on 'exercise' in Germany. While pulling out of a military base, one of the drivers stalled his truck, partially blocking the road, and was unable to get it started again. A German came driving towards him and, instead of swerving to go round the truck, or stopping and waiting for it to get out of the way, the German drove straight into the side of the truck. No one in the truck was hurt, but the German was killed. (Prime candidate for a Darwin award, in my opinion.)

Does that answer your question about people being prepared to put their own lives at risk.

The Solution

Post 23

Lord Xeen

I think because of the way capitalism is (money = good, no money = bad, all else is irrelevant) it's not the stupid people that the warning labels are for, its to tell the smart ones that they can't make a quick buck (several (hundred thousand) quick bucks in fact) by causing themselves minor bodily harm and getting away scott free.

In this student's (and researcher's) opinion, punitive damages should be eliminated. If people can't get $400,000 for stubbing their toe or $4.3 million for falling on their arse, then there would be less incentive sue and less to sue for (here is 75 cents for the band-aid you used when you cut yourself on our product).

Secondly, there should be somebody (or several somebodies) to take a long, sober look at the case to see if it's even worth considering.

Lastly, we need to re-instill some work ethic and self responsibility so there are no people causing themselves accidents to live the good life easily and prevent cases like a man drinks high cholesterol milk for years and then sues for being fat.

Thank you for your attention,
Lord Xeen

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more