A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Last words and epitaphs.

Post 21

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

*sorry*

How about an engraved smilie smiley - smiley

Clive smiley - biggrin

Last words and epitaphs.

Post 22

Dragonfly. "A poet can survive everything but a misprint"-- Oscar Wilde

that's better!!! smiley - hug

Do you know what Billy the Kids' last words were!?? smiley - smiley

Last words and epitaphs.

Post 23

"arrrrrrgh!"

smiley - winkeye ?

Last words and epitaphs.

Post 24

Lear (the Unready)

Those smileys'll be the death of us all... smiley - bat

Last words and epitaphs.

Post 25

Xanatic(phenomena phreak)

Hmm, just to make a bit of advertisment for my homepage. There you can find the best last words ppl have said.

And I´d also like to quote the last words of Karl Marx: "Last words are for fools who haven´t said enough!"

Last words and epitaphs.

Post 26

Billy the Kids' last words were "Who's there!??" His assassin answered the door...

Last words and epitaphs.

Post 27

Having just completed a mammoth Quake 3 Arena death match session with my friends at Uni, I can testify that when confronted with the snub nose of a rocket or shotgun, most peoples reactions were:

"B*****rd! You F****n' shot me!!!!"

or

"Damnit! where were you hidin'?"

or

"You couldn't shoot me from ther -arrgh!"

or

"Goddammit! Where'd you get that railgun/rocket launcher/BFG from?"

or

""S**T! I died."

Aside from that anyone caught the wrong side of a railgun/rocket launcher/BFG would have their bits spread over quite a wide area and be buried in several graves, offering up the chance for multiple epitaphs!

Clive smiley - devilsmiley - injuredsmiley - yawn

Last words and epitaphs.

Post 28

Having just completed a mammoth Quake 3 Arena death match session with my friends at Uni, I can testify that when confronted with the snub nose of a rocket or shotgun, most peoples reactions were:

"B*****rd! You F****n' shot me!!!!"

or

"Damnit! where were you hidin'?"

or

"You couldn't shoot me from ther -arrgh!"

or

"Goddammit! Where'd you get that railgun/rocket launcher/BFG from?"

or

""S**T! I died."

Aside from that anyone caught the wrong side of a railgun/rocket launcher/BFG would have their bits spread over quite a wide area and be buried in several graves, offering up the chance for multiple epitaphs!

Clive smiley - devilsmiley - injuredsmiley - yawn

Last words and epitaphs.

Post 29

Wow... I feel enlightened... smiley - tongueout

Last words and epitaphs.

Post 30

Well, after having studied the black boxes of planes, it has been found out that the most common last words among pilots are "Oh S**t!". If I knew my last words were going to be recorded, I would make sure to come up with something better.

Last words and epitaphs.

Post 31

Is mise Duncan

I think the idea of a personal black box is pure genius.

Last words and epitaphs.

Post 32

Agreed. smiley - smiley

Xantic - you study black boxes? That must be pretty weird actually listening to someone's last recorded conversation...smiley - erm

Last words and epitaphs.

Post 33

No I don´t study black boxes. I haven´t even flown very often. That´s why I wrote "it has been found out" instead of "I have found..." But I did say it in a bad way.

Last words and epitaphs.

Post 34

smiley - erm How un-fun... smiley - sadface

Last words and epitaphs.

Post 35

My mistake. smiley - sadface

Personal black boxes - You Decide

Post 36

Lear (the Unready)

Being a morbid git, I also love the idea of a personal black box, but my question is essentially the one I've been asking all my life - how do we make technology keep up with the vagaries of personal chance?

It seems to me that no matter how hard I try to keep my opinions in view of some form or other of public media, I will inevitably find myself caught short at the final moment of denouement. How do I communicate this existential fact to other decent law-abiding human beings?

Somebody tell me I'm a Luddite (or something)...

Post 37

Lear (the Unready)

Or I mistakenly missed posting to the Pretentious Forum...

Post 38

Those things are meant to be indestructable aren't they? (well sturdy & robust at any rate...smiley - winkeye)
You'd probably need some sort of microphone on the vocal chords and tape-loop, for the recording of those oh-so-important last words. Also instruments for measuring tilt (drunkenness) and direction (care-free drifter ----> ruthless, ambition-led tyrant)
and an in-built DVD and mini-disc player so that you can watch movies on the backs of your retinas and listen to music pumped directly into your ear.

Now the big question.

Having constructed your personal black box....

.........Where do you put it?

Clive.

Last words and epitaphs.

Post 39

a girl called Ben

My Dad's last word was "yes" to the question "would you like some more morphine?"

Last words and epitaphs.

Post 40

Cheerful Dragon

My father's last words were 'Oh, no.' as he keeled over due to a stroke. He died the following day. smiley - sadface

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more