A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Numerical sayings

Post 1

Cheerful Dragon

Why do we say 'dressed up to the nines' and 'at sixes and sevens'? The Oxford English Dictionary gives the first as meaning 'dressed elaborately' and the second as meaning 'in confusion or disorder', but it doesn't go any further than that. Can anybody out there help?

Numerical sayings

Post 2

KWDave

Since I was born in Levi's, I won't even pretend to be an authority on elaborate dress. I've read or heard somewhere that when the phrase was coined, buttons and loops were the only fasteners on clothing. Tall, fancy boots had nine buttons, and required a valet or maid to fasten. Nine buttons, hence, "dressed to the nines."

I'm at sixes and sevens about the other phrase, although I've only heard it spoken aloud in England, and the musical version of "Evita."

The only regular numerical phrase one hears here is "24/7/365", which means you don't get any days off, or much sleep.

Removed

Post 3

Cheerful Dragon

This post has been removed.

Numerical sayings

Post 4

KWDave

You realize, of course, how dangerous it is to allow the dissemination of that much documented evidence out among the general populace, don't you?

This means many, many, more fist-poundingly correct drunks at the bar the next time you go. smiley - winkeye

Numerical sayings

Post 5

You can call me TC

It is brilliant - bookmark bookmark bookmark

Numerical sayings

Post 6

You can call me TC

smiley - erm BTW are we collecting them?

Give me five
Fifty-fifty

I'll wait till someone else mentions soixante-neuf

Numerical sayings

Post 7

Cheerful Dragon

Oh, come on! If you're going to come out with numerical sayings, pick some where the origin is a bit more obscure. Those are so well known that the origin is obvious. That's no fun!smiley - winkeye

Numerical sayings

Post 8

Icarus

Okay, how about "the whole nine yards"?

Numerical sayings

Post 9

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

Does 08/15 have a meaning to you?

Numerical sayings

Post 10

KWDave

How about 10-36?

Numerical sayings

Post 11

Cheerful Dragon

08/15 and 10-36 mean nothing to me, so I guess they must be American(?). I tried the 'World Wide Words' site for 'the whole nine yards'. Apparently it's one that defies definition. It's first recorded use is back in the 60s and it's mainly an American saying. Here's an extract from the site's entry on the phrase:

"While looking into it, I've seen references to the size of a nun's habit, the amount of material needed to make a man's three-piece suit, the length of a maharajah's ceremonial sash, the capacity of a West Virginia ore wagon, the volume of rubbish that would fill a standard garbage truck, the length of a hangman's noose, how far you would have to sprint during a jail break to get from the cellblock to the outer wall, the length of a standard bolt of cloth, the volume of a rich man's grave, or just possibly the length of his shroud, the size of a soldier's pack, the length of cloth needed for a Scottish "great kilt", or some distance associated with sports or athletics, especially the game of American football."

The article the proceeds to knock a lot of these on the head. In particular, a man's three-piece suit only takes 5 yards of cloth, and you need to run 10 yards to score a 'first down' (whatever that is) in American football. Others won't pass muster because the origin of the phrase would have to go back much further than it's first recorded use.

Check out the site if you want to know more. It's a great site if, like me, you're fascinated by why we say the things we do.

Numerical sayings

Post 12

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

08/15 is used in germany to denote something that is absolutely common or of average value. I cannot say where it origins from.

Numerical sayings

Post 13

KWDave

Aha!

A man's bespoke suit (jacket and trousers) takes 5 yards. Go for the waistcoat and the second pair of pants, and you need the whole nine yards.

Dredged up from the nether world of nearly dead brain cells...

"10-36" is American police-scanner-eze for a request for the time. President Lincoln was supposedly shot in the theatre at 10:36 p.m., so traditionally, all stopped clocks (like in clock and watch shops), and photos of clocks in advertising, had the time set at 10:36. Daresay no one in America under 40 remembers this quaint tradition, though.

Numerical sayings

Post 14

Sue

24/7/365 really bugs me.

24 hours a day

7 days a week

365 weeks a year??

Perhaps this is the latest way for paying us less for more work? smiley - erm

Numerical sayings

Post 15

Icarus

I was under the impression that "the whole nine yards" came from World War II due to the fact that nine yards was the standard length for a chain (?) of anti-aircraft shells on US vessels. Giving something "the whole nine yards" was basically saying "Keep shooting until it stops working, then shoot it some more just to make sure." I could be wrong though.

Numerical sayings

Post 16

Cheerful Dragon

No, a man's THREE-PIECE suit (capitals for emphasis, not shouting!) takes 5 yards, not a two-piece suit - unless you're very tall. A waistcoat takes about 0.75 yards - less if the back is made of different fabric (which it usually is). There's no way a pair of trousers takes more than 3 yards. 2 yards would be nearer the mark.

Numerical sayings

Post 17

Cheerful Dragon

Well, one of the theories put forward in 'Worldwide Words' is that it was the length of a magazine of shells on the Supermarine Spitfire. Both theories would cover it not being in use before the Second World War. But if either is correct, how come the first recorded use is in the 1960s? If it was a Second World War thing, I'd expect references to the phrase no later than 1950.

Numerical sayings

Post 18

KWDave

Maybe nobody started writing WWII memoirs until 1960? They were a notoriously closed-mouth bunch, "loose lips sink ships" and whatnot.

I will have to throw my vote with this concept, since the suit sank without a trace...smiley - winkeye

Numerical sayings

Post 19

KWDave

Maybe nobody started writing WWII memoirs until 1960? They were a notoriously closed-mouth bunch, "loose lips sink ships" and whatnot.

I will have to throw my vote with this concept, since the suit sank without a trace...smiley - winkeye

Of course, that's a Florida vote, so you may have to recount it.

Numerical sayings

Post 20

Cheerful Dragon

I wonder if anybody in Florida voted twice. It might explain a lot!smiley - winkeye

Key: Complain about this post