A Conversation for Ask h2g2

New Radio series

Post 21

SashaQ - happysad

smiley - biggrin

Episode 2 I found a bit nondescript, strangely, but Episode 3 I laughed a few times. The best things are still the voices and the superb theme music, though smiley - ok

New Radio series

Post 22

Teasswill

Quite poignant that Prof Hawking is now no longer with us either. Must be one of his last 'performances'.

New Radio series

Post 23

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

smiley - smiley

New Radio series

Post 24

Baron Grim

Oops. I smiley - boinged the link to the end of a page.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09vm093

New Radio series

Post 25

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

I missed the second episode... but listened to the third... TBH... nah... Not even just it's 'not DNA', it just doesn't work for me, as a series, with or without the DNA aspect... Its not overly produced, IMO, and is in desperate need of someone to have gone through the series scripts, and weed them out somewhat... such a pity, I was looking forward to a new HHGG series smiley - doh

New Radio series

Post 26

Feisor - -0- Generix I made it back - sortof ...

I will listen to ALL the episodes, but so far I find it a little too obviously "try hard" - may have something to do with MY expectations ...or maybe as I have aged I am not so easily surprised.

Definitely a little too "obvious" for me smiley - sigh but I will listen to it all for nostalgia smiley - biggrin

New Radio series

Post 27

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

'try hard' is about right actually.... its like its trying too hard to 'try to be ....', and just not being what its aiming for, and thereby not just standing up in it's own right, as a play/drama... smiley - sadface and I so wanted it too work... maybe just me mind, no doubt otters may like it more than I do personally smiley - sorrysmiley - doh

New Radio series

Post 28

Well...............

I never really warmed up to Mos Def as Ford Prefex in the movie version, though everyone else was fine in my opinion. He wasn't actually bad, just not what I expected. And someone who hadn't seen the original BBC series might think he was just fine. smiley - smiley

Do I want to see the new series? Still thinking about that question. The older I get, the more I want the Earth to not get destroyed, even in fantasy. I wish Adams had lived long enough to write some other way to rid this planet of those idiots from that ark ship, but letting the planet stay green and nice. smiley - smiley

New Radio series

Post 29

Icy North

If you're not all Radio-Hitchhikered out, then BBC4 Extra's broadcasting a 3-hour celebration of Douglas Adams' radio career on Saturday April 7th. You'll be able to catch it on iPlayer after that date - follow the link here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09yjlyj

"Features Vogon poetry from listeners..." smiley - bigeyes

New Radio series

Post 30

Baron Grim

smiley - ok

Last night I went ahead and got the Kindle version of _The Ultimate Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy_ (books 1-5).

It's been awhile since I've read the books and while I have multiple copiessmiley - star, reading on the Kindle is quite convenient. Also, it will be nice to read The Guide on a Guide-like device. smiley - towel

smiley - star A list of the various books and other versions I currently own:
Original paper backs I read as a kid;
The aforementioned Ultimate Guide in hardback;
First edition hardbacks I acquired about a decade ago;
The Tenth anniversary edition of the Radio Scripts;
The complete Radio Series (1-5) on CD;
The original TV series and the Film.
Also, a book mark to the BBC web version of the Game (which I still haven't completed. smiley - shrug)

New Radio series

Post 31

i have the original radio series on longplaying vinyl. So I have the soul of a Luddite vogon.... smiley - shrug

New Radio series

Post 32

Baron Grim

Here's a good argument nailing down the actual date the Vogons arrived.

http://youtu.be/Yufv5dfTgQ4

smiley - towelsmiley - laughsmiley - oksmiley - roflsmiley - towelsmiley - dontpanic

New Radio series

Post 33

Mayday! Mayday!

New Radio series

Post 34

Pink Paisley

Brilliantly crafted.

PP.

New Radio series

Post 35

And so appropriate that the world should be attacked on Mayday. smiley - ok

New Radio series

Post 36

SashaQ - happysad

Yes, 'trying too hard' does describe the new radio series rather well...

Still, I laughed a couple of times during Episode 4, and Lenny Henry's voice was a pleasure to listen to. Still strangely bitty, and could probably have been polished as 2legs says, but it sounds like the plan is for some of the bits to be tied together somehow by the end of the series...

New Radio series

Post 37

Baron Grim

I'm going to need to relisten to the earlier episodes. I keep either nodding off or getting distracted by work.

New Radio series

Post 38

Work is a four-letter word -- literally.

New Radio series

Post 39

Icy North

Wasn't that a Cilla Black film from the 1960s?

New Radio series

Post 40

Not that I can tell.

But there was an episode of "Kings" in 1984 with that title
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt8076294/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Key: Complain about this post