A Conversation for Ask h2g2

New Radio series

Post 41

Icy North

The BBC are repeating all the previous radio series daily from Monday. Available on iPlayer here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007jlzj

New Radio series

Post 42

SashaQ - happysad

I listened to Episode 5 just now and found it quite amusing in places, and overall less bitty than the previous episodes - interesting...

New Radio series

Post 43

Icy North

I’ve just started listening to the Hexagonal phase. This morning I listened to the extended part 1 (available on the bbc site as the comedy podcast). I don’t really think it went anywhere new, but the production values were as sharp as ever. Not sure I enjoyed the new Marvin as much, though.

It was strange to hear the late Stephen Hawking and Susan Sheridan. Maybe there’s a guide entry to be written on the h2g2 actors who have passed on.

New Radio series

Post 44

SashaQ - happysad

Yes, h2g2 actors definitely deserve a place in the Guide if anyone is able to write Entries about them smiley - ok

I listened to the 6th and final episode today. I particularly enjoyed the amusingly ascerbic asides about social media, and overall found it quite good. The ending left me a bit nonplussed or something at first, but after a while I was able to think it was about right as the ending...

New Radio series

Post 45

Icy North

Yes, I've heard all six parts now, and I think this was clearly the weakest phase. Nothing happened, basically. I couldn't get to like Thor or Wowbagger - they were just too one-dimensional. Making this was probably a mistake.

New Radio series

Post 46

Bluebottle

I did feel that Arthur Dent being the last human doesn't quite have the same impact now there's suddenly a whole planet of humans.smiley - earth

I was disappointed by the book 'And Another Thing' and though I loved hearing some of the cast again, the story just wasn't up to it. John Lloyd did a much better job of capturing the spirit of it all when he wrote much of the Secondary Phase.

<BB<

New Radio series

Post 47

SashaQ - happysad

Yeah, one-dimensional is a good way of describing Thor as a character within this story...

I've not read 'And Another Thing' because I read one of the 'Artemis Fowl' books by Eoin Colfer and was very much not impressed...

The production values were sharp, and I very much enjoyed the work of the cast, but I shall definitely now go back to the iPlayer and listen to the early episodes - I've already heard the first phase a few years ago on Radio 4 Extra, but they didn't repeat the other phases then. Will be good to compare and contrast smiley - ok

New Radio series

Post 48

Baron Grim

A few years ago, I bought a multi-CD set of the Radio Series phases I-V. I do not feel any need to complete the set with Phase VI.

I was also underwhelmed by the Artemis Fowl books.

New Radio series

Post 49

SashaQ - happysad

I've been listening to the Secondary Phase this week, and it is definitely much superior.

The raw ingredients were there in the Hexagonal Phase (the cast, The Book, etc) but they didn't work together overall somehow, whereas in these episodes there are eg seemingly random asides but they actually do link in with other scenes so it is much more satisfying to listen to and very amusing smiley - biggrin

New Radio series

Post 50

SashaQ - happysad

The special effects are superb as well - it was my privilege to visit one of the BBC's sound chambers a few years ago, and it was great to hear it in action in the inside and outside scenes in Fit the Twelfth when Arthur met the ruler of the universe smiley - ok

New Radio series

Post 51

SashaQ - happysad

I've caught up, so I just now listened to the Tertiary Phase Fit the Sixteenth.

Great to hear Douglas Adams as Agrajag smiley - laugh

The scene with Thor in was very amusing, too - I liked the mention of his arm muscles moving like two Volkswagens parking smiley - laugh

New Radio series

Post 52

Bluebottle

I've got Douglas Adams' reading 'Life, The Universe and Everything' on cassette somewhere that they took his performance from. The same recording was used in the Radio Show Live!

<BB<

New Radio series

Post 53

SashaQ - happysad

Oh wow!

I heard the announcer say the Tertiary Phase was from 2004, and then I wondered if I heard right, but that explains it! Superb!

New Radio series

Post 54

SashaQ - happysad

I'm now enjoying the Quandary Phase smiley - biggrin

The Radio 4 Extra announcer said that he likes Simon Jones' voice - quite delicious, like cake! Great description - I enjoy listening to his Arthur Dent cake indeed smiley - laughsmiley - ok

New Radio series

Post 55

SashaQ - happysad

I listened to another great episode today. Hilarious yet poignant when Arthur meets Fenchurch.

"There is, for some reason, something especially grim about pubs near stations" - very true indeed! smiley - rofl

New Radio series

Post 56

Otus Nycteus

(Unsmiley - lurks for a moment)

Today on BBC Radio 4 Robbie Stamp on Douglas Adams

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07pj826
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07pj826

Enjoy!

(Shrinks back into the shadows)

New Radio series

Post 57

SashaQ - happysad

Thanks Otus Nycteus smiley - biggrin

That is indeed a superb radio programme - I enjoyed listening to it first time it was broadcast smiley - brave

I really enjoyed the Quandary Phase of the h2g2 Radio Show and wonder if it was particularly good because it was limited to four episodes... I remember the flying scenes from the book, and the radio show really evoked that sensation of freedom and joy that Arthur found smiley - magic

New Radio series

Post 58

SashaQ - happysad

I'm listening to the Quintessential Phase now and particularly enjoyed Miriam Margolyes as Smelly Photocopier Woman smiley - rofl

New Radio series

Post 59

SashaQ - happysad

I enjoyed Fit the Twenty-Fifth - featuring the almighty bob, and the speaking clock sponsored by Accutentacle smiley - rofl

New Radio series

Post 60

SashaQ - happysad

Phwoo - Fit the Twenty Sixth was amazing... I've got some dust in my eye smiley - cry What a perfect finale, featuring Elvis, Douglas Adams as Agrajag, and a full reunion smiley - magic

Key: Complain about this post