A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Drones and Poop

Post 1

Icy North

A Dutch company has developed drones which detect and dispose of dog poo:

http://tinki.nl/dogdrones-en?wvideo=ph6en58isk

Is this:

a) Wow, at last we have a practical application for this technology!

or:

b) it's another sad reflection of what our society has become?

Drones and Poop

Post 2

Bluebottle

How does it get the little bags out of the trees?

<BB<

Drones and Poop

Post 3

Icy North

I'm more worried about Piers Morgan being submitted to drone attacks every time he goes outside.

Drones and Poop

Post 4

swl

I quite like that. Ask any councillor or MP what issue tops the concerns of constituents and it's dog mess. Not Brexit, not the NHS, not the economy.

I wonder if they can come up with robotic street sweepers along the lines of the driverless cars they're trialling?

Drones and Poop

Post 5

Deb

I have sometimes fantasized about someone coming up with a cheap & efficient way to DNA profile poop so the owner would get a fine through the post, like a speeding notice.

Either that, or the dog poo fairy http://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.wa0cW6yz5UkPMGe-jWgY9gEpEs&w=157&h=160&c=7&qlt=90&o=4&dpr=1.25&pid=1.7 was real, but instead of cleaning it up, she made it track down the owner and follow them round, perhaps squeaking "You forgot me! Don't leave me behind!".

I do think of some odd things whilst trying to avoid standing in a pile when cleaning up my own dog's smiley - grr

Deb smiley - cheerup

Drones and Poop

Post 6

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Rabbits poop in my flower garden all the time, and no one reads them the riot act. Bears poop in the forest, which is nature's way of providing fertilizer. Cats bury their poop. People waste a zillion gallons of water flushing it elsewhere to be processed.

A simple natural function is treated differently in so many ways. Wouldn't it be simpler to trade your dog in for a lower-maintenance pet like a cat?

Drones and Poop

Post 7

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

Automated poop-picker-uppers and street sweeps wouldn't be required if people took simple responsibility for their own messes . . .

Drones and Poop

Post 8

That IF is as high as Mount Everest, though. smiley - smiley

Drones and Poop

Post 9

Bluebottle

Can we have one that'll change babies' nappies?

<BB<

Drones and Poop

Post 10

bobstafford

That's all very well but I am not going to attempt to toilet train a bear!

If anyone tries there is a very good chance they may well be transformed into the aforesaid excrement!

Drones and Poop

Post 11

SashaQ - happysad

"You forgot me! Don't leave me behind!"

smiley - roflsmiley - laugh Love it - that would be perfect indeed!

I have once... encountered... fox poo or something in my parents' garden one summer, which was just bad luck, but the problem is when mess is left on a narrow footpath so it's hard to avoid... Even horse poo can be a problem - at least it is only vegetable matter, but it is still messy under wheel...

Drones and Poop

Post 12

To a plant, nothing is more excellent than excrement. smiley - winkeye

Drones and Poop

Post 13

Baron Grim

Deb, they're doing that already.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/dna-testing-dog-poop-id-lazy-pet-owners-seattle-article-1.2175545

As for poo drones, smiley - rolleyes. This is just silly. I don't think it's a serious proposal. In that video they mention detecting the poos by heat. I don't imagine it takes very long before a poo reaches thermal equilibrium. You're also talking about two drone "pilots", one aerial, one surface vehicle, to operate this "system". Plus aerial drones, like the one shown, typically have a 30 minute or less flight time.

I think this is just some attempt at viralocity*.

*Yeah, I just made that word up.

Drones and Poop

Post 14

Bluebottle

They'll have to keep them away from the National Poo Museum: https://www.poomuseum.org/

<BB<

Drones and Poop

Post 15

I'd prefer the Pooh Museum

http://www.assiniboineparkzoo.ca/park-landing/home/explore/pavilion-art-in-the-park/pavilion/the-pooh-gallery

Drones and Poop

Post 16

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

oo. fabulus idea. just so long as the drones are trained, or piloted to then tip the dog mess oer the head of the perpitrating dog-owner concerned smiley - grrsmiley - zen

Drones and Poop

Post 17

2Legs, that's the most brilliant idea you've ever had! smiley - wow

Unless the real culprit has left the premises, and the drone assumes that whoerer is still there is the culprit. smiley - tomato

Drones and Poop

Post 18

smiley - biggrin not all my own idea I'm afraid....... - My Father did something very simular.... - having had a problem, a few years back, with one dog owner, letting his dog soil, every day, all up the road my Dad lives in; annoying all the other people who live there... My Dad.... decided to do something.... he collected it all up, for a week.... went out early one day, spotted the culprit, followed them... discoverd where they live... and returned it to them... and then did the same, for aobut a week or so, each day returnign the dog mess, to the guys' lawn, driveway, or his car bonnet/hood smiley - evilgrin - I'm the sane one in my family. smiley - zensmiley - whistle - apparently the dog messing on his road then stopped eventually after a while smiley - laughsmiley - dog

Drones and Poop

Post 19

"I'm the sane one in my family. " [2Legs]

I hope you're kidding. smiley - yikes

Drones and Poop

Post 20

No one believes me when I say that.... until they meet my Dad, Brother or the family dog smiley - dog then they realise I tell only the truth... I'm not only the only saine one in my family, I'm so much more sainer than them, that I actually appear to be really very saine. . . no... seriously... I do smiley - blushsmiley - boingsmiley - badger

Key: Complain about this post