A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What are your favorite sight gags?

Post 1

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

My favorite movie and TV scenes frequently have no dialogue, just very funny visuals.

--Lucille Ball putting too much yeast into her bread mix, so when she opens the oven door, a massive wall of dough comes out at her.

--In "Duck Soup," Harpo Marx [dressed as Paul Revere] in bed with his horse.

--also in "Duck Soup," the final scene, when Margaret Dumont sings "Hail Freedonia" while the Marx brothers throw pieces of fruit at her.

--In "The producers," there is a chorus line of elderly ladies using walkers.

--In "love and death, there is a scene where Woody Allen and Diane Keaton are playing violin and piano. Immediately afterwards, they are each playing the *other* instrument.

--There are too many sight gags in the Laurel and hardy films to even list.

What were your favorite sight gags?

Post 2

SiliconDioxide

Life of Brian, during the clean-up following the "Children's Matinee" at the Colosseum, a body is dragged away by its feet; the head doesn't move.

When Harry Met Sally, the hair gel.

Red Dwarf, Lister uses a severed hand to open a door - It's the build up to this moment as portrayed by the distress it causes Kryten that makes it work.

But you can't beat Tom's face, the shape of a flat iron.

Post 3

Icy North

Nick Park's the master of sight gags, ever since his earliest short movies, like 'Creature Comforts". In this one there's a scene featuring birds with long pointy beaks. In the background one of the birds pulls another's beak out like it's attached with elastic and lets it snap back again. Makes me howl every time.

Post 4

Those are great! smiley - laugh

Post 5

The Groob

The Russian doll vans in League of Gentlemen.

Post 6

The Groob

Another one I've never actually seen is in the new Auf Weidersein when a place is raided by the FBI or something and Barry is on the diving board and in his effort to "get down on the floor!" he falls off the diving board. smiley - rofl

Post 7

Pink Paisley

Blues Brothers.

Jake and Elwood ask music shop proprietor to put up a poster in his shop advertising the gig.

Ray Charles pins it up looking pleased as punch. Steps back. Poster is upside down.

PP.

Post 8

Speaking of Ray Charles....

I remember seeing a movie [can't remember the title] in which two young A-list actors are in a hurry to go somewhere. They see a bus. They get on. Ray Charles is the driver. Need I say more? smiley - biggrin

Key: Complain about this post