A Conversation for Ask h2g2

The 42 Emoticon On Facebook,Gone.

Post 41

Elektragheorgheni -Please read 'The Post'

Don't forget smiley - handbag, 2legs. Did you ever get ALL your plumbing fixed?

Post 42

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

I never forget my smiley - handbagsmiley - divasmiley - discosmiley - handbagsmiley - bubblysmiley - boing

I've said it before.... I'll say it again...; My plumming will be finished by Christmas! (err... OK, I thought I might be meaning the Christmas now just gone.... evidently I was thinking of next Christmas smiley - snork ) smiley - laughsmiley - laugh

If life gives you dodgy plummers, laugh about it and make jokes smiley - snorksmiley - zensmiley - laugh

But... smiley - drumrollsmiley - drumrollsmiley - drumroll (wait for it, this is gona be good... smiley - snorksmiley - whistlesmiley - snork ) smiley - drumrollsmiley - drumrollsmiley - drumroll
He's finishing the plumming on Wednesday! smiley - snorksmiley - snorksmiley - snorksmiley - snorksmiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - crysmiley - laughsmiley - snorksmiley - laughsmiley - crysmiley - laughsmiley - snork really... smiley - snorksmiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - zensmiley - peacedovesmiley - zensmiley - zensmiley - zensmiley - snork

Post 43

Wow that is a good reason to throw a party with all those goodies you mentioned on another thread of yours! smiley - bubblysmiley - discosmiley - magic

Post 44

Sorry we should leave this thread, My bad. Continue with 42 smiley on Facebook discussion.

Post 45

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

Or, indeed, the need for a smiley, on h2g2 smiley - zensmiley - grovelsmiley - towelsmiley - tardissmiley - badgersmiley - ponysmiley - handcuffssmiley - zensmiley - magic

Post 46

TRiG (Ireland) A dog, so bade in office

On topic? On h2g2? smiley - snork

Right, so Facebook has smileys only in chat, not in other stuff? That would explain why I wasn't aware of them. (I've not signed into Fb at all in the past few months.) I don't know why they would retire a smiley, but it's possible that, as Pastey mentions, it was slowing down the server in some way. If you think about it, all text has to be scanned and checked to see whether it contains smiley codes. Perhaps Fb felt they could speed up this process by removing some of the less frequently used smileys.

Here on h2g2, click on any smiley to get the full list of them. We don't (yet) have a 42, but we do have smiley - dontpanic.

TRiG.smiley - tardissmiley - bluelight

Post 47

Gnomon - time to move on

So how do you type emoticons in Facebook, then? I can't see any sign of them.

Post 48

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

You type smiley - smiley or smiley - winkeye and you can use them in chat and comments.There are several choices you just have to practice.

Post 49

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

Don't forget to use the dash in between or it won't work.

Post 50

Gnomon - time to move on

So what do you type?

Post 51

What I would type here..
Try colon dash and bracket(the zero one for a smile).smiley - biggrin

Post 52

Gnomon - time to move on

No, none of them worked.

Post 53

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned

: - ) and ; - )

Without the spaces, work in fb smiley - ok

lil x

Post 54

Thanks lil..it was becoming difficult to work out how to demonstrate.
smiley - tea

Post 55

You are welcome smiley - hug

It can be very frustrating at times smiley - ok

lil x

Post 56

Gnomon - time to move on

None of those work on my smartphone.

Post 57

It's not such a smart phone, is it? smiley - whistle

Post 58

Witty Moniker

Gnomon, you are aware they work only in Facebook's chat function, not status updates and comments, right?

Post 59

Icy North

Facebook has a chat function? smiley - doh

Post 60

If you message someone and they are online it can become a chat session.smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more