A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Survey - What's your main browser for looking at h2g2?

Post 21

You can call me TC

IE at work
Firefox at home

Post 22

Deb

Internet Explorer.

Deb smiley - cheerup

Post 23

Magwitch - My name is Mags and I am funky.

Opera for pleasure.

Firefox for work.

Post 24

anhaga

Netscape.

smiley - winkeye

Post 25

Malabarista - now with added pony

Opera at home, Firefox at Uni, Chrome in the GIS lab, where the only alternative would be IE.

Post 26

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Internet Explorer, but not the latest version. I think Windows is trying to pretend my version no longer exists. smiley - cry

I think my version is 2003. Don't know the exact number [6? 7?]

Post 27

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

"that would tell you hits rather than Unique Researchers, maybe?"
[Edward the Bonobo]

I am indeed unique. Maybe I'm also a hit. smiley - biggrin

Post 28

Gnomon - time to move on

Thanks everybody. This is valuable information.

I already have the figures from the server logs to show which browsers the Readers use - those mysterious tens of thousands of people who look at h2g2 every day but never comment. What I'm trying to find out is which browsers the Researchers use.

Post 29

I'm not really here

Firefox for U94986
Opera for U290

Post 30

Witty Moniker

Home desktop - Chrome
Home iPad - Safari
Work desktop - IE 8
Out and about iPhone - Safari

Post 31

Dogster

Firefox and Android Browser.

Post 32

aka Bel - A87832164

Firefox (currently 12 Beta 6).

Post 33

Interestman-ing happy!

Chrome!

Post 34

Mu Beta

Chrome. Ex-Firefox.

B

Post 35

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

Safari

Firefox (mac) when I need a second account open at the same time.

Post 36

TRiG (Ireland) A dog, so bade in office

Home: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux i686; rv:11.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/11.0

Work: Whichever browser I have open at the time. Usually Firefox or Opera. Sometimes Chrome or Safari. Perhaps occasionally IE or SeaMonkey.

Post 37

minichessemouse - Ahoy there me barnacle!

Chrome at home
safari on phone
I.E at uni

minismiley - mouse

Post 38

Icy North

IE9

Post 39

Pastey

I'm going to guess then that Gnomon's found a bug in the new wysiwyg that only happens in some browsers. Possibly only one browser.

One thing with the new Pliny skin is we're dropping support for some older browsers. IE6 is out, it's dead. Even Microsoft are trying to kill it off ( http://www.ie6countdown.com/ )

I know that quite a few people have IE6 at work and can't upgrade but it now makes up for just over half a percent of overall readership. Together IE6 and 7 make up less than 4%, and those are the weirdest browsers. Mind you, the other one that causes problems is Chrome because Google in their "infinite" wisdom play funny with JavaScript. But, just over 20% of our entire readership uses Chrome (20.57%) which is more than uses Firefox (19.73%). All flavours of IE add up to 31.06% so Chrome is catching up. Mind you, what is surprising given the number of Mac users is that Safari still manages to account for 19.46%. Opera only accounts for 1.67% even though it's by far the better browser smiley - winkeye

As for the operating systems, 67.43% of readers are Windows users (53.58% Win7, 31.29% XP, 14.45% Vista). Apple is split across its devices, 12.46% desktop, 6.01% iPhone, 4.14% iPad and 0.93% iPod, so 23.54% in total.

When we drill down into the logs we can see which browsers everybody uses to write postings to forums, and which skins. Overall though IE makes up for 40% of postings, Firefox 27%, Chrome 24% and Safari 7.5%

So in response to a question raised earlier in this thread, yes I can provide the data needed to see which browsers the posters are using smiley - winkeye

Post 40

Pastey

Oh, I use Opera by choice.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more