A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Mustard hate it or love it

Post 1

Reality Manipulator

After me and my friend took part in love or hate marmite discussion, it promoted us to wonder about people's tastes and preferences on what type of mustard they like or if they hate it completely.

If you like mustard which are your preferences, ie traditional British mustard, American, Dijon, German, mostarda, Turun sinappi and whole grain mustards, and why.

Also if you hate mustard what puts you off about the taste and texture,

Thank you.smiley - smiley

Post 2

Reddy Freddy

English mustard. From Norwich. Forget that French muck, and even more forget that tasteless, bland yellow stuff they purvey in America under the misnomer "mustard". You should *know* when you've had mustard!

For extreme versions of mustard: make it with gin instead of water; mix it with Worcester suace, or Tabaso sauce, or the hot suace of your choice.

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Post 3

Taff Agent of kaos

""For extreme versions of mustard: make it with gin instead of water; mix it with Worcester suace, or Tabaso sauce, or the hot suace of your choice.""

i think i smiley - loveyou

mustard and horseradish in the same sarniesmiley - winkeye

i love mustard, english is good, very good, but the mustard makes the dish

the light yank stuff in a burger, german senf with a frikky, english on a beef sandwich

smiley - bat

Post 4

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

I'm very fond of the wholegran English mustard,, from Norwich, and also their powdered mustard (which you can make up as described above, just as you want/like it; and its also very handy as its powdered for adding into dishes your cooking and getting an even mix of it in...) smiley - zensmiley - drool

Post 5

DireTribe

I really don't enjoy pre-mixed mustards made with vinegar. I only really enjoy Colemans' powder mixed with water and I've only just rediscovered a shop that sells mustard powder in 4oz tins again

Post 6

MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

smiley - ok With you there. Also good in stews and casseroles.

I do buy pre-made mustard, but hand-made wholegrain and chili from W@!£r0$e. Has to have smiley - devil in it, or what's the point? French mustard is brown paste, American is yellow slime and Dijon is just bland!!!

But then I am into Scotch Bonnets...

And the fillies that wear them, but that's for another posting!

MMF

smiley - musicalnote

Post 7

(I often put a bit of the powdered mustard in meals that otehrwise don't require it; not enough to taste as such, but just to bring out f some fo the other flavours; bbut also in things like stews its good, and of course welsh rarebit.... smiley - drool ) smiley - zen
smiley - erm mmmm chillis smiley - drool and now I've an idea involving powdered mustard, vodka and chilli peppers smiley - drool or gin... or gin and vodka, and maybe some blended whisky, and chilies, and powdered mustard, and a drop of mmmm smiley - run

Post 8

I guess there is no chance of solids in there?

MMF

smiley - musicalnote

Post 9

Taff Agent of kaos

only if he mucks up the mixing and gets some lumps in itsmiley - erm

smiley - bat

Post 10

smiley - rofl Or cuts himself!

MMF

smiley - musicalnote

Post 11

j_z_d

Personaly I like what is available here(north western north america)as 'Old Style Grain Mustard With Horseradish', sprinkling of powdered cayenne pepper-or mix in a habanero pepper-and you've got a truly Hotsmiley - yikes mustard!

Post 12

Teasswill

Hate it.

When I was a child, I was a rather fussy eater. An aunt gave us ham sandwiches to eat on the way home after visiting her. Turned out to be ham AND MUSTARD which I ate, but didn't enjoy much & felt somewhat unwell afterwards. Might have just been car sickness of course but I've never eaten it since. I don't even like the smell & generally don't like hot, spicy flavours.

I love marmite.

Post 13

Jimcracker7[magiclink.rip gone altogether. im back.in my home from home.

i can take or leave mustard, cole---s is the best i think, never tryed any other, but only on ham or meat.

jimcracker7smiley - sheep

Post 14

Orcus

I love it in just about any form bar the tasteless american hotdog additive variety.

There are lots of lovely things that you can do with mustard and the French do many nice things with it just as the british do.

Mustard seeds are of course excellent in a variety of indian style dishes too. smiley - drool

Post 15

Orcus

Oh and I don't know why people have found it hard to locate mustard powder. I find Tescos quite convenient for that smiley - erm

Post 16

swl

I find Colman's wholegrain a bit too sweet so I prefer Arran wholegrain mustard.

Never tried German mustard though - any good?

Post 17

The last few times I found myself buying a supermarket own brand wholegrain, and really despite my best efforts haven't been able to find any real fault with it, cept its about three or four times cheaper than any brand named version smiley - huhsmiley - weird

Anyone know how long the powdered mustard keeps?: I've had this tin of the powdered stuff made in Norwich, which I bought from a supermarket, for.... years and years and... years smiley - erm

Post 18

hygienicdispenser

For me, English mustard on sausages, ham, boiled bacon, or burgers. For beef, French mustard (the dark sort) plus horseradish sauce made with my home grown horseradish.

Post 19

Sho - employed again!

I like English mustard, the Colemans powdered variety (which you can buy round here in very expensive high class delis. Makes me smiley - rofl)

I also like French mustard, and German.

German mustard can be eye-wateringly strong (Düsseldorfer Senf) or the sweet not hot variety (Bavarian stylee) or anything in between. Yum.

I prefer it without mustard seeds, but I also like it with. In fact tomorrow we're cooking a Jamie Oliver mustard chicken dish which has powdered and wholegrain in it.

Post 20

Magwitch - My name is Mags and I am funky.

Wholegrain mustard for me, begins with M....e (I think) underneath the cheese when prepared on toast smiley - drool

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more