A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Ask: Anyone else looking foward to the new Harry Potter Book/film?

Post 1

Ferrettbadger. The Renegade Master

Cause I am I have spent the weekend reading the books again and I am currently half way through the goblet of fire.

Makes me think that the film *could* be good. Trouble is the book is pretty dark, I wonder if the will capture that or bowlderdise it? Essentially they want kids to see it but...

All that stuff with the death eaters at the world cup, and of course the conclusion to the book are going to be way to scary for a U certificate I think.

Also I cannot wait for the new book now. Whilst "Goblet" and "Pheonix" were not as enjoyable as "Azkaban" I still thought they were both ace. Excited!!!!

Post 2

Anyone?

Post 3

liekki

I'm looking forward to the book. smiley - smiley (don't care for the movies)

I think it's promising that it's shorter than the last one - maybe she hasn't lost all her self-constraint after all.

Post 4

designmonkey AKA George The Gay Hippo

'Whilst "Goblet" and "Pheonix" were not as enjoyable as "Azkaban" I still thought they were both ace.'

I thought Goblet of fire was the best of the lot, great plot, v exciting and very sad at the end.
'order of the phoenix' was quite long and drawn out they will probably struggle to adapt it into a film unless they remove a load of sub-plots ect.
DM

Post 5

Thewyrdsister (13-01+9+21=42), Thursdayite!

I´m definately ookig forward to the book!!
Not crazy about the movies though.

smiley - magic

Post 6

Thewyrdsister (13-01+9+21=42), Thursdayite!

*looking* forward to the book! *looking*!!! smiley - blush

smiley - magic

Post 7

nicki

im really looking forward to the book coming out.

the films disappoint me because you lose certain things from the books.

i think the chamber and philoserpers stone were the best 2 books though i also love goblet.

Post 8

Personally I wasn't particularly impressed by either of the first two films, however I tohught that Azkaban was a huge improvement.

Best thing about the films though has got to be Alan Rickmans "snape" IMHO he has totally nailed the character.

Post 9

nicki

yea

there is some of the actors which play the charcters as you would imagine.

i do think they are ok im jut disappointed they ave chopped so much from the books

Post 10

Lakie

I'm looking forward to the book and the movie. I've enjoyed them all. I saw the film of the Philosopher's Stone before I read the book, so wasn't making constant comparisons. However, with the others I've read the book first, but left sometime before I've watched the film, so I'd perhaps forgotten some of the detail.

Post 11

nicki

ive been a fan of the books since the third one came out and have read them sooooo many times so i can make the comparisons with out much thought!

Post 12

Baconlefeets

When all the hype started about Harry Potter a few years ago, I devoured the first 3 or 4 books, then came the big tome and I couldn't bring myself to read such a massive book, I know I'd fall asleep with it in bed and end up with a black eyesmiley - erm

I'd like to read it but since it's been ages since I read them, can't seem to bring myself to read any moresmiley - erm

As for the films, I saw the first one and was disappointed, then watched a bit of the second and thought that it wasn't as good as the book, so switched off...

smiley - erm Well, that was a dreary postsmiley - biggrin

Post 13

Alfster

I am looking forward to both book and film. They are both enjoyable fluff with the books having a hint of arc and mystery - lets just hope the whole mystery explanation isn't lame - but we also have to realise that when Rowling started the books she would not have realised they would be so popular.

And regarding the amount of story left out of the films: it has to be done - a film is a film and a book is a book. The first two films tried to have everything in them. The 3rd one missed out a lot and was judged to be better overall - the only strange thing that did grate once I realised is that the students went to the Witches/wizards village in muggles clothing rather than robes etc. Sadly, something that does not make sense overall but works when you do not realise.

Post 14

MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

No! I've read up to book 3, although I have had book 4 from new. Still unread. Personally I became bored, and I am an avid sci-fantasy reader. Philip Pullman good... Rowling good but heading downhill with each book.

smiley - musicalnote

Post 15

I agree that "Potter" is not in "His Dark..." league, still great though if you ask me.

Post 16

Peace_metcutio_peace

Yes I am looking forward to the next book! But I didn't enjoy the last much as the other ones, too dark for my liking smiley - biggrin r u?

Post 17

tjeika

Also looking forward to the next book very much. Although I promised myself not to, I lost self-restraint and put my name on the waiting list in our library...
I liked all the books ("Azkaban" the most), even if the last ones are darker. For me, they are still great, but I think J.K.Rowling moved a bit away from "Books for children"

Post 18

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

I'm looking forward to the book, the film isn't that important.
I think the 3rd and the 5th books were the best ones so far, the 4th was a bit boring at first, but the end...
I like that they become darker, although I agree that she moved away from books for children.

Post 19

Yelbakk

I am looking forward to the book to come out. I enjoyed reading all of them (though not nearly as much as I enjoy reading Pullman, and he has written more than "His Dark Materials"; Sally Lockhart is great, just as those thin little comics he created). My favorite "Potter" book was Azkaban. Things work out best in this volume; best plot structure condensed into the right amount of pages, it has the right pace. Goblet of Fire is a bit aimless. Phoenix starts off great and has an awesome finish, it is just some few hundred pages inbetween that are a bit of a drag.

Y.

Post 20

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

I agree with you about 'Goblet of Fire', designmonkey, and I am certainly looking forward to the book.

Key: Complain about this post