A Conversation for Ask h2g2

How's "Who"

Post 1

Tamrhind

Am I just getting an old & wrinkly or have my taste buds matured along with the rest of me?

I speak of my disappointment with - wait, for it! - the latest incarnations of the 'timeless' Dr Who series.

Now I've watched this since Pat Troughton had morphed from William Hartnell and picked up Wendy Padbury and Frazier Hines (only to drop the poor sod off at "Emmerdale", the heartless beast).

Then, the story was far more important than the FX. Now, with what seems to be Hollywood's pervasive and corrosive influence, the priorities are reversed;' it's almost all flash & glitz and very little oomph.

How's "Who"

Post 2

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Traveller in Time smiley - tit with a redirector
"Think it would be better to ask at
< A655256 > 'The h2g2 Doctor Who Group'
That is where all the WhoExperts gather smiley - tardis

I thougt I followed the latest developments in Doctor Who but I do not understand much of your question smiley - zen "

How's "Who"

Post 3

NPY

So what are you disappointed about then??

How's "Who"

Post 4

Tamrhind

Yeah, I see I was quite vague about my gripe; apologies to all.

I think what turned me fof was the seeming preponderance of style over substance. People wax lyrical over "the LOTR trilogy of films because of its stunning cinematography, yes, but also a strong and cohesive story - one does not overshadow the other.

This is clearly not the case, generally, in Hollywood and, apparently, no longer in "Dr Who.

How's "Who"

Post 5

NPY

Any examples?

I know some of the stories have been stronger than others, and new technology makes more things possible, but I didn't think it was "all about the CGI".

How's "Who"

Post 6

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Traveller in Time smiley - tit _ smiley - eureka
"The old Doctor Who often made a smart and even brilliant conclusion giing the feeling he was really smart.

Current series the special effects are used for the brilliance.

smiley - erm I do not know for sure, "

How's "Who"

Post 7

Taff Agent of kaos

I'd rather have CGI than Martin Clunes in bad make-up and walls that wabble when brushed against

smiley - bat

How's "Who"

Post 8

Tamrhind

"The old Doctor Who often made a smart and even brilliant conclusion giing the feeling he was really smart"

And with the likes of Tom Baker, you never knew when Smart Alec was going to turn up, did you? smiley - smiley

How's "Who"

Post 9

NPY

Though he was still smart? Never struck me as not being intelligent, just coz the effects are better.

Key: Complain about this post