A Conversation for Ask h2g2

On not hating Christians

Post 381

Edward the Bonobo - Gone.

Nah. No raw data.

For those who don't know stats - you can't just compare percentages. You'd need to do a chi-square test to see if religious/non-religious individuals fell into the married/divorced categories in significantly different proportions.

Incidentally...that Bana survey doesn't report significance does it? On that basis, we couldn't say any more than 'no difference'. Although the larger the sample size, the smaller a difference is needed, so we might be justified in claiming an effect by appling the Modified Eyeball Test.

On not hating Christians

Post 382

Hoovooloo

"I wonder what divorce rates are like for Jedi?"

Pretty high. We're always going round saying "may divorce be with you"...

I'll get me coat...

On not hating Christians

Post 383

laconian

smiley - groan

Been following this thread with interest. I never thought it would produce a gem of a terrible joke like that!

On not hating Christians

Post 384

Giford

Welcome back SoRB.

No doubt the irony of you first post in ages (that I've seen) being a threat to leave is not lost on you...

Gif smiley - geek

On not hating Christians

Post 385

Now that's what I call an entrance! smiley - smiley

(hmm...what makes me suspect that this therad is about to become more heated, not less.)

On not hating Christians

Post 386

Effers;England.

Hey, thanks for the heads up, Ed. Otherwise it would never have occurred to me. smiley - winkeye

As you know, I'm trying pathetically and desperately to keep away from heatedness now.

I've been keeping away from here, and threads of similar ilk. I'm keeping away even more now... smiley - laugh

(PS welcome back SoRB...smiley - run)

On not hating Christians

Post 387

TRiG (Ireland) A dog, so bade in office

He's been around for the past week or so, I think.

Life might indeed get a bit more interesting now, if he's going to get involved again.

"What is your definition of the word .....?"

TRiG.smiley - yikessmiley - run

On not hating Christians

Post 388

That 'interesting' was possibly ironic...or possibly used in the same sense as in the old Chinese curse.smiley - evilgrin

On not hating Christians

Post 389

Giford

Going back to the topic drift we were on before the topic drifted most recently...

I'd be interested to see what *marriage* rates are like among those who list their religion as 'Jedi'.

Gif smiley - geek, but not smiley - geek enough to be a Jedi. Discordian, maybe smiley - winkeye

On not hating Christians

Post 390

TRiG (Ireland) A dog, so bade in office

Omnian?

TRiG.smiley - evilgrin

On not hating Christians

Post 391

Primeval Mudd (formerly Roymondo)

A discordian knot?

On not hating Christians

Post 392

Giford

Hey, don't knock it. How many religions have had a (dwarf) planet named after their deity in the last 50 years?

Gif smiley - geek

On not hating Christians

Post 393

Hail, Eris!

On not hating Christians

Post 394

blue-eyedmarkyboy

thanks for correcting me- as in marilyn harlow !

On not hating Christians

Post 395

BouncyBitInTheMiddle

I rather expect that Jedi probably have the highest abstinence rates of any religion smiley - tongueout.

On not hating Christians

Post 396

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

That's fair enough HI...

Really, it's no doubt best to leave it...

Vicky

On not hating Christians

Post 397

<>

How on earth do you relate this to religiosity? I've noted in the past claims that 99% of Americans are Christians, and equally loud claims that they're not, that the statistics are damn liars, whichever happens to suit that day's argument.

Therefore, census figures showing that 87% of people in Mississippi (sp?) for instance, don't count as an argument!

On not hating Christians

Post 398

<>

Drat! More haste less speed...

That should have been "showing that 87% of people in Mississippi (sp?) for instance, are religious" ...

(Whatever "religious" means - as it can mean anything from Unitarian Universalist to Southern Baptist... (and let's not forget New Age!)

On not hating Christians

Post 399

anancygirl

Ed; My father taught/enlightened my that one can learn something from every one one meets/encounters, if only how not to behave. This quip has served me well in his message to think! (aside) Critical Thinking 101 is being taught at the University Level now... scary I was taught/intro at grade schoollsmiley - wah

Where were we?

Post 400

royalrcrompton

< I certainly don't think that anyone could justify saying that Christianity unequivocally has practical benefits for family stability>

It depends on the degree of commitment between the partners. There is a certain strength derived from agreement within the marriage relationship. Conversely, there is the predictable instability when they become polarised on major issues.

If husband and wife both stand firmly for the same religious and moral values, then it stands to reason that stability will inevitably build rather than wane. But that benefit would apply to any creed, not just Christianity.

RC

Key: Complain about this post