A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Block mobile phone usage in classroom exams

Post 1

Mark Occomore

I heard that there maybe a trial where copper wiring or something similar will be added into the class room walls where school exams are taken place. This is due to the high level of cheating using text messaging via the mobile phones.

This would block a signal to the handset.

Block mobile phone usage in classroom exams

Post 2

Elentari

I don't think this is the best place to post this. Are you trying to get people to read it?

Thread Moved

Post 3

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This conversation has been moved from 'Thanks for Registering with h2g2 - Welcome!' to 'Ask the h2g2 Community'.

Thread Moved

Post 4

Xanatic

In my exams they just made us leave our mobile phones on a table in the far side of the room. A bit less high tech solution.

Thread Moved

Post 5

Hooloovoo

But that doesn't work if you just say "I haven't got one" or if you've got two... one to leave at the desk and one to use.....

Thread Moved

Post 6

Xanatic

Well, they also have people present in the room who would look what you were doing.
There are some machines you can get which send out a low-level signal making you unable to get reception on your mobile. Cell phone killers they are nicknamed I think. Might be simpler than adding copper plates to all the classrooms.

Thread Moved

Post 7

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Traveller in Time smiley - tit counting memory
"Think they will object you using a device like a phone anyway, storage space up to a Giga byte, one does not need to call in for more information."

Thread Moved

Post 8

SiliconDioxide

Copper-plate in the classroom, must be seventy years since I last saw that.

Thread Moved

Post 9

Orcus

Never mind the classroom, can we have one for buses and train carriages please smiley - grovel

Thread Moved

Post 10

IctoanAWEWawi

you can get them from an american company, they jam the network signal so no phones work within 10ft of you.

I've been very tempted. But then again I'm also tempted to buy/build a gauss gun to fry the things.

Key: Complain about this post