A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Just How Illegal?

Post 1

Werb

After hearing from many different sources, i'm not sure what is true so i'll ask here.
Where in the U.S. is it illegal to hitchhike? Is it illegal everywhere in the country
or just in some states?

Just How Illegal?

Post 2

Anonymouse

Heh.. It's never exactly been legal to hitchhike... anywhere. Most authorities, however, have always turned a blind eye as long as you don't get on the interstates. (Standing by an entrance ramp is okay, though.) It was so popular back 20 or 30 years ago (and before) that it had it's own 'code of the road' stigma applied to it, and most people (even those who didn't indulge) knew and adhered. It was also, though never -truly- safe, a whole lot safer then than it is now. The best means of hitchhiking across the state now is either shanks pony all the way or buy a bus pass.

(Of course, I'm for buying a Harley and doing it in style, but that's not exactly hitching a ride. smiley - winkeye)

smiley - musicalnote Thumb goes up smiley - musicalnote
smiley - musicalnote A car goes by smiley - musicalnote
smiley - musicalnote It's nearly 1am smiley - musicalnote
smiley - musicalnote And here am I smiley - musicalnote
smiley - musicalnote Hitchin a ride smiley - musicalnote
smiley - musicalnote Hitchin a rid smiley - musicalnote

Just How Illegal?

Post 3

manda1111

Now I realy DID think it's illegal to hitchhike in parts of the USA smiley - erm

manda smiley - peacedove

Just How Illegal?

Post 4

Cheerful Dragon

I've found a website on hitchhiking: http://www.hitchhiker.50megs.com/custom.html According to this site, some states do have rules on where it is or is not OK to hitchhike. In most cases it is phrased as 'A person shall not stand in a roadway for the purpose of soliciting a ride from the driver of a vehicle', and '"roadway" means that portion of the road normally used by moving motor vehicle traffic.'

So I'm guessing you can stand on the sidewalk and hitch a lift, or on a grass verge or hard shoulder (whatever that's called in the States).

I also found reference elsewhere to a blanket law that you can't hitchhike on a turn pike.

Just How Illegal?

Post 5

manda1111

I keep hearing about these "turn pikes",,, what are they smiley - erm

Just How Illegal?

Post 6

Cheerful Dragon

A turnpike is a US motorway on which a toll is charged.

Just How Illegal?

Post 7

manda1111

Aaah.... Turn Pike = Toll road

Now I know smiley - biggrin

Just How Illegal?

Post 8

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

In Colonial America a turnpike was any major road between major towns or colonies for the purpose of commerce or the movement of armies; these were mostly single lane dirt roads through the wilderness that had to be maintained from overgrowth.

The word comes from Middle English and ancient European forms of 'traffic control' and defense. Today the word 'turnstile' survives in a purer sense of its 'toll barrier' origins while turnpike is more loosely applied to many major multi-lane high speed highways.

>>
Word Origin & History
turnpike

c.1420, "spiked road barrier used for defense," from turn + pike (2) "shaft." Sense transf. to "horizontal cross of timber, turning on a vertical pin" (1547), which were used to bar horses from foot roads.

This led to the sense of "barrier to stop passage until a toll is paid" (1678). Meaning "road with a toll gate" is from 1748, shortening of turnpike road (1745).

Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2001 Douglas Harper
Cite This Source
<<

smiley - ok
~jwf~

Just How Illegal?

Post 9

Two Bit Trigger Pumping Moron

Georgia's version of the law states:
§ 40-6-97. Pedestrians soliciting rides or business

(a) No person shall stand in a roadway for the purpose of soliciting a ride.

(b) Except as provided in Code Section 40-6-97.1, no person shall stand on a highway for the purpose of soliciting employment, business, or contributions from the occupant of any vehicle.

Here highway "means the entire width between the boundary lines of every way publicly maintained when any part thereof is open to the use of the public for purposes of vehicular travel." So sidewalks, shoulders, etc would all be part of the highway.

smiley - handcuffs

Just How Illegal?

Post 10

Anonymouse

And all this begs the question:

Can one be arrested for standing in the middle of a field and pressing a button to hitch a ride from a passing spaceship?

Just How Illegal?

Post 11

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

If the passing spaceship happens to be Vogon then almost certainly yes smiley - winkeye

Just How Illegal?

Post 12

Anonymouse

I guess you have a point, but that's only assuming you actually get a ride. I meant for the simple attempt. smiley - winkeye

Key: Complain about this post