A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Most Common Birthday?

Post 1

The Cheese

Does anyone know, or have a guess, to what day or month most people are born on, or is it generally the same daily?

Most Common Birthday?

Post 2

The Jester (P. S. of Village Idiots, Muse of Comedians, Keeper of Jokes, Chef and Seraph of Bad Jokes) LUG @ A458228

It seems to be November. I am a November boy and have a November sister and a November father, plus I have come across many others. My guess would be that this occurs because of Valentine's Day. (Think about it...)

3smiley - biggrin

Most Common Birthday?

Post 3

Gwennie

Sorry to shatter your illusions. I share my birthday with my great grandmother (1st July) whilst my two children, two of my hubbie's brothers, one of their offspring and two of my daughter's friends all have birthdays in July. It is a very expensive month though!

Most Common Birthday?

Post 4

heathen

Summer birthdays may well be more common because of all the snuggling up people do on those cold winter nights. Not that that applies in our case - One of my children was born April 23, the other on a very wintery Christmas Day...

Most Common Birthday?

Post 5

Gwennie

Ahh! Spring must have been in the air, hey?

Most Common Birthday?

Post 6

james007

I was always under the impression that when there were those three-day weeks, and no electricity otherwise, the population ended up booming nine months later.

But maybe I was wrong.

They're saying there'll be lots of millenium babies though - that'll be good, giving birth in a hospital when the power goes off, the equipment stops working and it's full of drunks... smiley - smiley

Most Common Birthday?

Post 7

Lupa Mirabilis, Serious Inquisitor

I have a July birthday too, and so do a disproportionate number of my friends....

Most Common Birthday?

Post 8

LIB-

All my children were born in September, but then again my wedding anniversary is Jan 1.

Most Common Birthday?

Post 9

C Hawke

Historically there I believe, September (in the Northern hemisphere) was popular, and even aimed for, as this is harvest time, a baby born when food was abundant had much higher survival chances, and as someone pointed out, what else is there to do on dary mid-winter nights smiley - winkeye

Although now, or certainly next year I'm sure Dec 29-Jan 3 will be v popiular as all those sad people after the first baby of the millenium start popping.

Chris

Most Common Birthday?

Post 10

Gwennie

Well, the three day week was one reason with all those power cuts. I don't know if these younger generations know what to do other than play on computer games with each other though. They're going to come unstuck when a power cut comes! Still, maybe I'm wrong with all these teenage pregnancies...

My better half was born 10th January but that was in New Zealand so it was their summer then so although our birthdays are opposing seasonally, he is still technically a summer baby!

Most Common Birthday?

Post 11

cafram - in the states.

My dad and his 3 sisters were all born within a week of each other (different years)....exactly nine months after their dad's birthday!!

Ick!

Most Common Birthday?

Post 12

wizzard

I work in a microbiology lab and we get samples from many people in our town.
We put their details on the computer, including D.O.B.
Lately it seems to me that december 25th is very common, unless I just
happen to notice them at this time of year!
The most common given birthday IS 1st January!
Would anyone like to hazard a guess why?

-=# smiley - smiley

Most Common Birthday?

Post 13

cafram - in the states.

ummm....cos people are stupid and try and get 'the first baby of the new millenium'...?!

Most Common Birthday?

Post 14

Rat

We aren't born. Everything is just this big illusion. Birthdays are merely present days. An excuse to receive underwear from grandparents and stuff.

Most Common Birthday?

Post 15

wizzard

No.
The 1st January of any year, not just because of the new millenium shite.
Have another guess.

-=#smiley - smiley

Most Common Birthday?

Post 16

aPerson, An Angelastic (and alliterative) Acronymaniac

Most of the people in my family (and it's a big one) as well as a lot of my friends are born in May.

Trying to have the first baby of the year isn't just a millennium thing... although I guess it's more popular now. Hmmm... Is Jan 1 hugely more common a birthday or is it just a little bit more?

Most Common Birthday?

Post 17

wizzard

It seems to be hugely, but i'm only looking at our town
not the whole country!
You never know, in the whole country it could be the least
popular- but i doubt it considering the reason.
Put it this way, 1st Jan isn't their real date of birth, it's given to them.

Most Common Birthday?

Post 18

Lady Belle

I use to be in a social club and I handled all the birthday greetings and I found mid September to be a very busy month for birthdays smiley - smiley

Must have something to do with the holidays at the end and begining of the year...hey presto...a baby in September...

Ever work back 42 weeks from your own birthday to see what your parents were celebrating???...Ive done that for mine and discovered that it was my Mothers birthday...smiley - smiley...surprise and funnily enough my brother was conceived on my fathers birthday smiley - winkeye

Most Common Birthday?

Post 19

Fire Valkyrie

I read an article in the news paper once (maybe a year back) where they asked at the hospital which time of year "produced" most babies. I think the result was that most babies are concieved during two periods; the cold winters, and the summer holiday. This is in Sweden by the way. And personally I'm born on Christmas Eve (which is when Swedes celebrate Christmas, being a bit ahead of the americans, in time). It doesn't seem to be an overwhelmingly common birthday, but then again perhaps people prefer to keep it a secret. How would you feel if the most typical respons to finding out your birthday was "Oh, POOR you! HOw does it feel to only get presents once a year???" like I have some sort of genetic disease or something...
smiley - smiley

Most Common Birthday?

Post 20

Dolphin Girl: Patron Saint of Incoherent Ramblings; Keeper of Flutes and Singing Watches

Most of my friends (and me as well) were born in late September to October. Celebrations of Christmas and New Year spring to mind!

Key: Complain about this post