A Conversation for Ask h2g2

if time didnt exist

Post 41

clzoomer- a bit woobly

Oh, oh....I'm floating away. Should wear off given....time.smiley - laugh

if time didnt exist

Post 42

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

Time must exist or wounds would not heal.
smiley - magic
And even if time did nothing else, we should cherish (or at least never underestimate) its healing properties.

smiley - biggrin
~jwf~

if time didnt exist

Post 43

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

"can you make time?"

no, but its pretty easy to waste.

dairy cows seem to appreciate music, btw (i think they like classical)

if time didnt exist

Post 44

If the universe is infinite, then im "a" center, 21+4^1+8+9=42

the vogons like poetry, that is a bit like music

if time didnt exist

Post 45

If the universe is infinite, then im "a" center, 21+4^1+8+9=42

yeah if u read a brief history of time by stephen hawking, he has a chapter called "black holes, aint so black"

if time didnt exist

Post 46

Blatherskite the Mugwump - Bandwidth Bandit

Time doesn't heal wounds, cell mitosis does.

if time didnt exist

Post 47

clzoomer- a bit woobly

What heals a broken heart, then?

if time didnt exist

Post 48

Distance and fading memory.

if time didnt exist

Post 49

Fashion Cat

Just something back on topic, cos the only thing I know to mend a broken heart other than lots of ice-cream is eventually someone else who is also likely to break your heart...

I seem to remember being told somewhere that time is an illusion created by a chemical flowing through our brains. If this flow speeds up, we perceive time travelling faster, and when it slows down, we perceive time travelling slower. Thus, we can have minutes that drag when we're at work without anything to do and no internet connection to go onto hootoo, and we can have hours that go by so quickly when we're enjoying ourselves on an evening we wish would never end...

if time didnt exist

Post 50

clzoomer- a bit woobly

Perception can change, yes- but doesn't the admission that you are perceiving something prove that it may exist? And the fact that it can be measured increase the chances it does? And furthermore that it has an effect on physical things?

if time didnt exist

Post 51

Fashion Cat

I like the idea that Scott Adams came up with. Our soul moves through a series of stationary universes (as in a movie)! smiley - smiley

if time didnt exist

Post 52

clzoomer- a bit woobly

Strings of pearls, and each string is a reality. Parallel universes as well. A very attractive idea.smiley - smiley

if time didnt exist

Post 53

What fluids passing through the brain affect the perceived passage of time? Blood? Ask the out-of-shape jogger if he thinks time is passing quickly...

We don't really perceive the passage of time... that's why we're often noting that it seems to be speeding up or slowing down. It's purely subjective. It only seems to be going fast when we're too busy to pay any attention to the sun cycle or the motion of the clock's hands.

if time didnt exist

Post 54

clzoomer- a bit woobly

That's the problem of our perception, not of time. I still maintain that time's existance is as unprovable as it is provable so neither side is right.

if time didnt exist

Post 55

Fashion Cat

the chemical is dopamine, and its just our internal clock. http://www.webexchange.net/office/sci-time-flies.htm if anyone is interested...

if time didnt exist

Post 56

Ooh, dopamine. Happy stuff.

They're only talking about short-interval time recognition, in terms of seconds and minutes. And they make it sound like it's somewhat subjective, dependent on overall dopamine levels. So it's not much different from changing gear ratios on a watch to affect how quickly it ticks... it doesn't change anything except our perception.

if time didnt exist

Post 57

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

>> Ask the out-of-shape jogger if he thinks time is passing quickly... <<

"Sorry, no time, gotta run, don't stalk to strangers, anyways, see ya..."
smiley - run

smiley - biggrin
~jwf~

if time didnt exist

Post 58

clzoomer- a bit woobly

Why do they always look like they are in pain?smiley - laugh

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more