A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Petty Hates

Post 6901

Todaymueller

Motorway matrix signs . Do they ever give the correct information ?

Interesting stuff on the fonts by the way . smiley - biggrin

Petty Hates

Post 6902

winnoch2 - Impostair Syndromair Extraordinaire

That's the trouble with them. Because drivers assume their information will be out of date, many people ignore them. Speed limits for example. If they really gave real time information about hold-ups ahead, instead of a hold-up 4 hours ago, folk might keep to the lower limits (which are put there to reduce 'bunching' and even out the traffic flow)

Petty Hates

Post 6903

Thorn

People who push the doors close on the elevator when they see you are about to go in while carrying lots of things.

Petty Hates

Post 6904

Cheerful Dragon

Inconsiderate people in hotels, motels, etc. Last night we stayed at a Travelodge (UK 'motel' chain). There were people knocking loudly on doors and talking loudly in the corridor until late at night, oblivious to the fact that some people wanted to get some sleep. I woke at about 4:30am and the same thing happened. Somebody not only knocked loudly on a door, they thumped it and kicked it (by the sound of things). Then, when the door was opened, they talked loudly to their friend, both in the room and as they left the building. I could still hear them when they were in the car park.

Either these people are totally thoughtless or they're totally deaf. smiley - crosssmiley - steamsmiley - grr

Petty Hates

Post 6905

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

In point of fact, Travelodge is not just in the UK.

smiley - pirate

Petty Hates

Post 6906

Thorn

Unfortunately there's a few times where I've been one of those loud oblivious people.
You feel awful afterwards when you realize you disrupted people from some of their stuff but it doesn't occur to you during.
smiley - footinmouth

Petty hate #3 for me:
Folks who call you up but refuse to use the answering machine to say what it is they wanted (the better to bug you that you didn't return their call afterward). Or expect you to know who they are when they go "It's me."

smiley - headhurts

Petty Hates

Post 6907

You can call me TC

I once had the message on my answering machine - "Please don't hang up, DO leave a message"... someone left a message and then continued to waffle on and said "What do I do now? I'm not supposed to hang up?"

So I changed it.

Petty Hates

Post 6908

Aye, your Travelodge story sounds VERY familiarsmiley - erm These days if we ever stay in any hotel in or near a city centre, we expect this kind of thing and celebrate if we get peace quiet.

I think you can only enjoy staying these places if you're one of those lucky sods who can sleep through a grenade attack. They seem to attract the 'partying' kind of people and kids on their first night ever, away from home smiley - erm

And to the person who posted that they were guilty of such behaviour... I suppose you've got a prat-chav mobile with a loud bucket exhaust and drive around residential streets for no good reason too.... There seems to be a culture nowadays of people who have been brought up without the ability to empathise with others or consider what effect their behavious has on others.

Why on earth would anyone with half a brain NOT consider that running amok around a hotel all night, might piss off other residents??! I mean WTF? I knew that when I was 5,10,15,20 years old. It's common sense innit? Why is this so hard for so many people to comprehend, that they have to be told? I despair, i really do.

Petty Hates

Post 6909

Oops, that post was a bit grumpy and judgemental smiley - sorry Just hit a raw nerve with regards to memories of otherwise excellent holidays ruined by a lack of sleep, caused by the above mentioned behaviour smiley - wahsmiley - cross

Petty Hates

Post 6910

Black-Eyed Girl... Sometimes the only sane answer to an insane world is insanity!

My PH for the day is being ill and not being able to breathe through my nose resulting in a horribly dry mouth when I woke up, so dry that when I moved my mouth, my lip split from the inside out..... messy!

Also, hair left in sinks/baths, really is it that hard to scoop it out when you're done??

Petty Hates

Post 6911

Anna Siren- the heathen of the deep, according to iTunes...

RE hotels, oh god. I stayed in the Ramada in Belfast for a night in June for my cousin's wedding (not my own room but that's a whole different story altogether) and the walls are thin. VERY thin... espiecially at 4.30am when you are drunk.

Petty Hates

Post 6912

anne-o-mally

last time I stayed at a hotel, the issue was the people inside the hotel. Probably after AnnaElena's experience. Being such an innocent, the noise prompted me to call the police - there was obviously abuse going on in the next room, & being a good citizen, I couldn't ignore that, could I? He he he.smiley - biggrin

Petty Hates

Post 6913

anne-o-mally

Anyway, PH of the day - people who feel the need to invite you for Christmas, although you have planned for being on your own - away from family pressures & friend's goodwill, even tho work committments get in the way of both, but are not properly aceptable.

I have to say, I value the concept of being alone - it's actually very enjoyable - The Queen's speech can be disregarded at willsmiley - biggrin

Petty Hates

Post 6914

You can call me TC

I once spent a night in a hotel with constant nightly disturbances. It was right near an airport, and was used by people for very late and very early flights. We arrived very late at night, so I have sympathy with the people having to come and go at those ungodly hours. The fault was the hotel's - the floor in the corridor was wooden and not carpeted. It was people's shoes on the wooden floor which were causing the problem.

Petty Hates

Post 6915

I agree. But there's a difference between unavoidable noise (walking, coughing) that the hotel build quality allows you to hear, and deliberate noise; parties or post/pre pub/party arsing around.

I want to see this sign up in large neon lights in all hotels.

HOTELS ARE FOR SLEEPING IN, NOT FOR PARTYING IN. PEOPLE ARE HERE TO SLEEP. ALL PARTYING CEASES THE MOMENT YOU ENTER A HOTEL. GO TO YOUR ROOM. STAY IN YOUR ROOM. OFFENDERS WILL BE REFUNDED AND ASKED TO LEAVE !

Petty Hates

Post 6916

Pink Paisley

Pedestrian lack of spatial awareness.

1. Walking down the street behind someone slower. You go to walk past and they turn into yout path. It's happened to you. Or you've done it.

2. I am standing in a shop looking at something on a shelf. Someone else comes and stands between me and the shelf.

PP

Petty Hates

Post 6917

Isn't that why shotguns were invented ? smiley - winkeye

Petty Hates

Post 6918

Sho - employed again!

just before a public holiday or whatever. I have to use my lunchbreak to do the supermarket shopping (that's a PH on its own)

People, especially with children, who are obviously not working MEANDERING AROUND AIMLESSLY GETTING IN THE WAY.

I have 30 minutes People - stay out of the way!

Petty Hates

Post 6919

Menthol Penguin - Currently revising/editing my book

PH: My u's and v's look very similar when I write them downsmiley - grr

Petty Hates

Post 6920

Deb

That mvst be uery annoying smiley - evilgrin

Deb smiley - cheerup

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more