A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Flying

Post 1

Vicki Virago - Proud Mother

Just before I go home for the weekend (and to give those of you who log on over the weekend chance to think about this) Does any one ever have any dreams of flying.

I mean actually flying - not in an aeroplane but free, as a bird? When you do have you ever fought the devil (or anyone evil). If so can you shed some light on why I keep getting these dreams. Please!!!!!smiley - grovel

Flying

Post 2

Wejut - Sage of Slightly Odd Occurrences and Owlatron's Australian Thundercat

When I meditate I fly with a falcon... Very very cool.
A lose translation of your dream could be...
Flying = freedom, Evil = things that are getting in the way of your freedom or following your dream, Fighting = not letting the things that are getting in your way win, fighting to keep the dream so to speak.
smiley - magic

Flying

Post 3

Cornishpasty`n`chips

My flying dreams, as a teenager first, over a mattress world it was
fantastic.

Then nothing about flying until a few years ago, i would jump, fly
for long distance before falling to the ground just waking before
impact.
After a book on healing and how to experience "out of body ",after
falling asleep I sometimes dream of flying over moutains, lakes
and desert islands while watching beautiful sunsets.
I honestly do not know if it is "out of body" or just pleasant dreams
but I thoroughly enjoy these wonderful dreams.

Flying

Post 4

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

Not exactly flying, but falling, or rather jumping from a very great height and not getting killed. I've had these dreams ever since I can remember. Sometimes it's jumping down a flight of stairs, sometimes it's off the top of a building. As I'm falling I'm thinking to myself that this should kill me, but when I land it doesn't, although it really jars my body and is quite uncomfortable.

Flying

Post 5

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

I wish I had such dreams. The most common recurring theme in my dreams (although not for a while now) is being chased, often down stairs where I seem to have a certain advantage over my pursuer. The fact that I jump the last few stairs in each flight always seems particularly advantageous.

Flying

Post 6

Cloviscat

Oooh - I fly in dreams and I just love it. It's hard to explain - flying takes a bit of effort, but less than, say, swimming, you also have to be careful how close you go to the ground - if you go very close it's possible to 'fall off' as it were and quite hard to get back on. Gaining height is a little diificult too - that's quite a lot like swimming, or drib=ving a car up a ver steep hill - you know that point where you have to change down a gear and it feels like you'll roll backward?

I'm usually flying above places I know, from my own home town/city/village (depending on the time in my life) or places that I know and love - like certain bits of the Lake District.

Flying dreams are always *very* vivid and can be positive, scary or just weird, but I usually think they're my brain trying to take a new perspective on a situation - does that make any sense to anyone else?

smiley - smileysmiley - blackcat

Flying

Post 7

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

It makes a kind of sense. Sort of seeing things from a different viewpoint...

Flying

Post 8

Gnomon - time to move on

I used to dream about flying when I was a child. I haven't done recently. Flying is probably one of the most common things that people dream about. And it is one of the most common drug-induced hallucinations - the so-called "Out of Body Experience".

Flying

Post 9

Oh I have started something haven't I. Well I have to say that I have these dreams not because of a drug!! (although I could be tempted at times!).

In my dreams, I always have problems landing. If I come down too hard, I wake up. Othertimes I end up in peril (ie flying into electricity pylons) and wake up.

They don't last long but are very vivid.

Flying

Post 10

Cloviscat

I can't say I've ever had a drug induced, hallucinatory, out of body flying experience, but from the descriptions of those that I have been given, it's rather different. My flying dreams are always very strongly, if not to say compulsively, plotted. The OoBs I've heard of are rather more vague. I never get to just fly about and look at the scenery - there are places to go and things to be done! I wonder why flying dreams are so strongly narrative? Maybe back to the brain sorting thngs out....?

Flying

Post 11

Gnomon - time to move on

My dreams are extremely narrative too.

Flying

Post 12

Not much is said in my dreams although I do know what needs doing and when. I seem to be aware that there is danger and have to act immediately such as fighting the devil (who looks like a child with fiery red eyes) or stopping a plane from crashing (the outcome to that one has never come to be). The same dreams also re-occur.

Flying

Post 13

Spaceechik, Typomancer

I've had very vivid flying dreams; sometimes getting away from something unpleasant (although I never remember what) and sometimes just being FREE. I'm always disappointed when I wake and realize I really can't fly! smiley - sadface But very pretty dreams usually.

Maybe it's a way to "lighten the mood" when we're stressed, as I always seem to have these when in a very stressful period. Seemed as though I had flying dreams every night for quite a while after my husband died. Maybe it's a way for us to "escape" what's bothering us.
But then, I could be gliding 'round the wrong forest. smiley - smiley

SC smiley - planet

Flying

Post 14

Sorry to hear about the death of your husband but perhaps you are right. Perhaps it is a way of escaping reality or a way of dealing with your loss.

Flying

Post 15

milo

Flying dreams are superb. With me it's a Peter Pan type of flying over my home town, none of that silly waving of arms. No fear of falling or anything, despite my usual fear of heights.

Usually occur during times of contentment and mental peace, I gather.

Which would explain why I haven't had any for ages.

Flying

Post 16

Oh dear. Perhaps we need to change all that!!

I must admit though, I haven't had any flying dreams for a while now.

Another type of dream I have is of aeroplanes crashing. Each one is different but are in an area which is familiar yet I don't know. Each aeroplane is different, ie a big jumbo through to a helicopter. They stopped just after my fella's granddad died. Thankfully I haven't had any for about 3/4 years now.

I have to agree about the fear of heights factor as well. I am petrified of heights but whilst in my dreams it is not a problem.

smiley - bikersmiley - grr It still doesn't work.

Flying

Post 17

milo

A common dream of mine is losing teeth. It doesn't hurt or anything but they fall out. Usually front ones.

I had a dream last night when I was in Wetherspoons in town and ordered a chicken tikka. When it arrived it had the poppadum and naan bread but had a pile of nachos instead of the curry. When I complained by going into the kitchen it had been prepared by one of the people I had a fist fight with at school. He claimed he had made the curry but then accidentally threw it away and thought I'd quite like nachos instead.

I then woke up.

Flying

Post 18

I've also had dreams where my teeth fall out. I am scared of dentists and don't go quite as often as I should.

They are usually back teeth though.

Flying

Post 19

milo

Website I was looking at says that loss of teeth often indicates that the person has few opportunities to assert him/herself in their everyday lives.

But can also be a nightmare dream caused by fear of dentists. Depends if you are scared during the dream or not.

Flying

Post 20

Gnomon - time to move on

There are books which offer interpretation of dreams - if you dream of a women with pink flowers in her hat, it means you will meet a long-lost cousin, and so on. This form of dream analysis has been discredited.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more