A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Flying

Post 121

Vicki Virago - Proud Mother

Try telling yourself just before you go to sleep to remember the dreams. Sometimes it's worked for me. But not always.

Flying

Post 122

The Snockerty Friddle

>Where abouts?
Hoole, Upton, Sealand road and somwhere else I forget the name of.

The reason I suggested reading about lucid dreaming is that I found it a sure way of having lucid dreams and they're much harder to forget than ordinary dreams.

TSF

Flying

Post 123

Were you a student at Chester College, or did you go to school in Chester?

To try and remember dreams I always try to tell myself to remember. sometimes it works.

smiley - bikersmiley - chick

Flying

Post 124

The Snockerty Friddle

Nahhhhh, I worked there for a while, about 10 years ago.

Simply telling yourself that you *will* remember your dreams can be very effective. I found that reading about dreams/dreaming before sleeping and thinking about it while dozing off also helped me to remember the dreams in the morning.

TSF

Flying

Post 125

milo

I don't think telling myself to remember them would work for me. If I'm thinking about going to sleep I never can.

Flying

Post 126

Odo

There are some dreams that you just don't want to remember, thinking about them can give you nightmares. smiley - winkeye

Flying

Post 127

When you're dropping off to sleep you get to the point where you are aware of everything around you, but sleep is just around the corner. That's when you need to tell yourself to remember your dreams.

Also if you go to bed when you are very tired and you lay flat on your back sometimes it feels like the bed is moving. This is also a good time to do it.

Flying

Post 128

The Snockerty Friddle

>I don't think telling myself to remember them would work for me. If I'm thinking about going to sleep I never can.

Mental reinforcement(sp)in action there.

TSF

Flying

Post 129

The Snockerty Friddle

it works the other way too!

TSF

Flying

Post 130

Odo

smiley - winkeye

Flying

Post 131

Bishop. It's the chance you have to take if you want to try and remember dreams.

smiley - tongueout

Flying

Post 132

Odo

Ok, Ok, just wondering if there was a way of only remembering the nice ones and being able to forget the nightmares. smiley - smiley

Flying

Post 133

I think it's sods law that you will always remember nightmares anyway so I don't think it would make that much difference!!!

smiley - winkeye

Flying

Post 134

Odo

Ah well, we can only dream.

smiley - laugh

Flying

Post 135

The Snockerty Friddle

Nightmares have something important to tell you. You dont want to forget them or you wont be able to act upon them.
Think of them as opportunities! After all they cant really harm you.

TSF

Flying

Post 136

Good advice!!

Flying

Post 137

Odo

They're not always that easy to interpret. Luckily I generally only get them if I'm running a temperature of seriously worried/upset about something.

Flying

Post 138

milo

Back to the thing about me being unable to sleep if I'm thinking about sleep.

Anyone have any ideas that might combat this? I find it makes it impossible for me to have a quick nap in the day, no matter how tired I am.

Flying

Post 139

There are really only two ways of interpreting a dream - a trick of the mind or truth. Only you as the dreamer and decide which is the correct path to believe. If nothing comes of your actions then perhaps you took the wrong path, but having said that if the nightmares were a warning of something possibly going to happen then if nothing happens perhaps you took the right path.

I bet that confused you didn't it!!

smiley - biggrinsmiley - tongueout

Flying

Post 140

Odo

Vicki smiley - huhsmiley - dohsmiley - biggrin

Oatmaster : I find sleeping during the day very difficult even if I'm nearly at dropping point. When it gets to that stage I tend to try and find somewhere warm and comfortable and preferably flat. (I can't drop off to sleep in an armchair). Snuggle down, close your eyes and let your mind begin to drift. Think about things that aren't going to start worrying you; an encounter you've enjoyed over the last few days, a conversation you'd like to have continued or a view you like looking at and imagine you're there doing something in that setting. If you can remember a dream, think it through again and add an ending to it. Almost as if you were back in school and begining to write a story. Whatever you do don't think "I'm tired I must sleep."

I find that I end up so relaxed and engaged in something that has very little to do with RL, that I must doze off at some point and generally come too again to find the clock has jumped forward a fair way. Even if you don't sleep the fact that you've switched your brain off and stopped thinking about real life gives it a chance to recover. May sound a bit strange but it works for me smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post