A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Daft names

Post 41

some bloke who tried to think of a short, catchy, pithy name and spent five sleepless nights trying but couldn't think of one

One of the Phys Ed teachers at my high school was Miss (or Mrs) Lamborne. And we all had fun with the name of the maths teacher Mr Maiorano. (Try saying it aloud)

Daft names

Post 42

Gnomon - time to move on

Please explain the joke in the name Miss Lamborne.

Daft names

Post 43

Mustapha

At high school, one of the kids was unfortunate enough to have his parents, Mr and Mrs Kerr, name him Wayne. Suffice to say his life was not a pleasant one until he changed his name to Geoffrey.

Much later I learned there was yet another person with equally shortsighted parents. He was named Wayne Carr.

Some people just don't deserve to have kids...

Daft names

Post 44

Spooky Wigan

smiley - biggrin The proprietor of my local Chinese food emporium was named Ian Poo, or I. Poo

*trundles off to giggle like a kiddie*

Daft names

Post 45

the autist formerly known as flinch

My initials are PMS.

The local registrar of Deaths where i live (Great Grimsby, UK) was for 20 years a Mrs J Stiff

My woodwork teacher was called Mr Wood, while my metal work teacher was called Mr Pipe.

There are two villages about 10 miles away called Mavis Enderby and Old Bollingbroke, and theres a rural sign post nearby which reads "To Old Bollingbroke and Mavis Enderby", to which some wit has added "A son"

The founder of Grimsby was a man called Grimm - and if you've ever been here, it's a very fitting name.

Daft names

Post 46

Gnomon - time to move on

A Chinese restaurant I pass occasionally is run by Soon Fatt.

Daft names

Post 47

Cheerful Dragon

I used to know a man who served with the Royal Corps of Transport (now part of the Royal Logistics Corpz, I think). The lowest army rank is usually 'Private', but in the RCT it was 'Driver'. So his name and rank was 'Driver Carr'.

Daft names

Post 48

Silverfish

I remember the New Scientist thing. Actually, I remember something on the News Quiz on Radio 4 quite a while ago.

I remember that there was a hotel manager called Mr Warm Bath. Two people wrote about incontinence called J.W.Splatt, and Mr Wedonn.

The smileys come about, I think from the letter 8 and the ). I'll try it now. 8)

Daft names

Post 49

Silverfish

Yes, its the 8 and the ) combined that turn into a smiley. If you have a look at them, they do look like a face.

Daft names

Post 50

Silverfish

Ignore the smiley thing. I didn't realise that there were posts after the one I replied to. smiley - doh

Daft names

Post 51

Wayfarer-- I only wish I were crackly

see http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A617366 and http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A596388 8)

Daft names

Post 52

Mister Matty

I remember watching an old Open University program in Physics when I was at the school and one of the appallingly "70s teacher" dressed presenters was called Stuart Freake.

Daft names

Post 53

Xanatic

That does seem appropiate for a physicist. But wasn´t there also a time where you could make a smiley with :D ?

Daft names

Post 54

David Conway

In the course of my job, I once ran across Mrs. Fester. Her fault, of course. I don't know WHAT Esther was thinking when she married him.

Esther Fester...

Daft names

Post 55

Cheerful Dragon

In a nearby village there's a firm of funeral directors called 'A Dyer', which I find wholly appropriate.

Daft names

Post 56

Cheshirecatgeisha

Probably your 8´s turned into smileys because your had a bracket right next to them. I`ll try to see if this was right. ... 8) ... ? Right! Also, there is a special smiley page somewhere in the guide which shows you the key-combinations to create them. Shalom!!! CCG.
Oh, and do you remember the scene from "the life of brian" when the roman centurio (?) talks about his friend Bickus Dickus and his wife Incontinentia Buttocks? smiley - winkeye CCG.

Daft names

Post 57

Wayfarer-- I only wish I were crackly

oooyy.....!

Daft names

Post 58

Ecky Thump Esq.

How about the English rugby union player Austin healey. I also read of a document signed (fraudulently) by a Bud E. Wyser. I knew a lad at school who's surname was Head. Unbelievably his parents called him Richard.
Cheers Ecky.

Daft names

Post 59

some bloke who tried to think of a short, catchy, pithy name and spent five sleepless nights trying but couldn't think of one

No particular joke in Lambourne, just funny in itself. Just remembered the principal was A. Legg at some stage (we had a new principal just about every year)

Daft names

Post 60

Munchkin

There used to be a guy down the stairs from me at uni called Andy Fish. And yes, he did have A. Fish on his door!
I also seem to remember a French rugby player called Condom (there is also one called La Maison, the house, which is disturbingly appropriate) and I have a vague memory of a news reader called Lyn Lithgoe. Linlithgow is a Scottish town.

Key: Complain about this post