A Conversation for Ask h2g2

(The Return of) What book are you reading at this time?

Post 1541

Demon Drawer

Currently I'm on the last volume of Tony Benn's diary

Post 1542

toybox

Started a bilingual version of The Merchant of Venice yesterday. I'll be through it today probably.

Post 1543

Demon Drawer

In what French or Enlish or both?

Post 1544

the third man(temporary armistice)n strike)

I'm reading, and really enjoying, Martin Chuzzlewit. Dickens was a very funny mansmiley - smiley

Post 1545

toybox

Er, English and German smiley - biggrin.

Post 1546

Demon Drawer

No wonder you're struggling then.

These Tri-ligual people give the rest of us a bad name as slackers etc. etc.

Post 1547

toybox

I wouldn't describe myself as trilingual, otherwise I wouldn't need a bilingual version of Shakespeare smiley - blush.

Post 1548

Demon Drawer

What for the German or the old English

Post 1549

toybox

For both actually. I guess I would have understood but half of what I read if I had only a German or an old English version.

Well the fact I've seen a representation of the play a couple of years ago may help a little. They played it in Norwegian, though (naaah, just kidding - it was French allright).

Post 1550

Ek* this space intentionally left blank *ki

I didn't say Love in the Time in Cholera was bad, just that I read it very fast ... as it happens I quite enjoyed it - wouldn't make it into my top 21 though ... The Amulet of Samarkand on the other hand certainly would!

Now reading Goulds Book of Fish ...

Post 1551

toybox

There; I'm through with the Merchant of Venice smiley - smiley. I'll start Witches Abroad tonight, certainly.

Post 1552

Woodpigeon

I've just started "After the Ice" by Steven Mithen. Just a history of Humanity from 20,000 BC to 5,000 BC, when it stopped getting interesting. So far, so good.

Post 1553

Narapoia

Currently in the middle of Disgrace by JM Coetzee, but have Night Watch still burning a hole in a shelf somewhere. Gave up on the Lem. Too bleedin' interlekchal loike.

Post 1554

nada

Alright, I'm about to start reading Love in the Time of Cholera.
Solely because you guys keep mentioning it!

Post 1555

Sho - employed again!

After seeing Ruby Wax so lyrical about it (sorry, couldn't resist) on Saturday night on The Big Read - and unable to reconcile the work of brilliance she described with the pile of poo that I remembered it being, I am currently plugging away at The Catcher in the Rye (in the few spare seconds I have)

I have to say that my first assessment was right (IMO) and I would almost rather gouge out my own eyes than have to finish it. But only almost.

Post 1556

dasilva

As it was my birthday on Sunday I treated myself to "Clockwork Orange", "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen", "Solaris" (Fortunately they re-released the novel proper, rather than rehash it for the Clooney film version) and, oh, what was the other one, some Philip K.Dick thing (I've only read "Do Androids..." up to know) smiley - biggrin

Post 1557

toybox

Started Robin Hobb's "Fool's Fate" a couple of days ago smiley - smiley

Post 1558

rooftiler - back again, for another bit at least

Just finished Great Expectations, after feeling that yet again, I've read too few of the books on a 'best of..' list. (Also read Wind in the Willows the other week).

Wind in the Willows is great and not what I expected.

Great Expectations - I agree Dickens has great comic skills but they are only used sparingly in this novel. The twists and turns are as varied as (for me) they were unexpected.

**Warning** I was reading a Wordsworth Classics edition (I think, the £1 a pop lot) which had the whole plot in the blurb - so if you haven't read the book but plan to, don't read the blurb!!!)

In a weird way, it kinda reminded me of the story 'Flowers for Algernon'...

Post 1559

Wulfric

Just about to finish The Teeth of the Tiger by Tom Clancy (fairly certain of the title!) which is an easy read.

Not sure what will be next.

Post 1560

Metal Chicken

Just starting Jasper Fforde's "The Eyre Affair", having seen his books enjoyed on this thread several times.
Have also dug out Brian Greene's "Elegant Universe" to supplement the TV show currently trying to explain string theory.

Key: Complain about this post