A Conversation for Talking Point: Bad Food

Capers, if that's how it's spelt

Post 1

skank monkey (upbeats only. shouting by special request) [night-who-ver?]isn't it annoying when somebody's name is longer than t

I was at a really posh restaurant, ordered some sort of great meaty thing (rack of lamb with a herb crust in port wine jus, apparently - i should have been suspicious when i noticed they couldn't spell "juice"), and the sauce was full of these odd little larval slug objects in a delightful shade of burst kidney green.
Capers.
When i'd asked the waiter, before ordering, what in gawd's name a caper was, i was told "Part of a vegetable." Helpful.

What they are, in case you didn't know, is pickled buds of a flower (daffodil or tulip maybe, i've tried to forget. Sweet heaven how i've tried). The sourest, slimiest, most-mouth-coating-awful-taste-ing-est thing i've ever eaten, and i've had a garlic parmo from Middlesbrough. Bleecch.

The only way to get rid of the taste was to get falling down drunk. Naturally.
smiley - biggrin

Post 2

elfetiche

I agree with you capers are disgusting but cow´s lung it´s the worst

Post 3

Beatrice

ooooh noooooo! Capers are delicious!

Yes they are pickled flower buds (where's the yuck factor in that smiley - huh)

They are specially good on pizzas - olives, anchovies, mushrooms and capers smiley - drool yum!

Post 4

Baron Grim

I like capers... I'm not crazy for them, but they're alright in moderation on Italian.

On another note (my mind just went 'capers'-->'kippers'-->'anchovies')
NEVER order anchovies on your pizza in the rural south (US) or any other areas where anchovies are not commonly put on pizza. I worked as a delivery driver for a pizza joint in a little town on Galveston Bay in Texas. Someone would ask for anchovies roughly once every four to eight days. When this would happen, the can of anchovies would come out of the refridgerator for that pizza and then sit on the counter for the rest of the night in case anyone else ordered any. Then back in the 'fridge they'd go until the next time. This same can lasted for at least two months like this. Now as much salt as is in canned anchovies, I'm fairly sure they were 'safe' but do you really want to chance it?

Other than things like that, I'll try just about anything. I've eaten everything from Menudo to Haggis, from Boudin to Kim-Chi. I guess the only thing that really makes me queezy is milk that is anywhere within 72 hours of going bad. I once drank a big gulp of milk that was on the other side of bad by about three days into being closer to cottage cheese than milk and from then on I won't let milk get anywhere close to it's expiration date in MY refridgerator.

Oh, and I don't think I could eat any kind of eyeball. smiley - ill

smiley - vampire Count Zero

Post 5

Agapanthus

I like capers very much. One day I was in a pizza place and ordered the pizza which included capers - I can't remember what else was on it because THESE capers were unutterably vile. They are supposed to be sharp, salty little morsels, but these were as acidic as battery acid and really really slimey. So, don't give up on capers, it is just possible you were unlucky and got a disgusting batch. If you like anchovies and pickled lemons, you should like capers.

Post 6

SDI Divemaster

Ok, first of all, I'm a huge fan of the Caper. But on pizza? Must be a UK thing. Personally, I prefer them with salmon. Smoked salmon on a bagel with tomato and cream cheese.... very tasty. Or in a sauce with a poached salmon. Wonderfull. But pizza.. really?

Post 7

Baron Grim

Ok... how 'bout a vote for worst sounding but best tasting thing on a pizza. My vote goes for sautéed spinach. The first time I tried I thought "you've GOT to be kidding... Spinach on Pizza???"... but Oh My BOB was it good!

smiley - droolCount Zero

Post 8

Kerr_Avon - hunting stray apostrophes and gutting poorly parsed sentences

On the subject of pizza-

Teenage Ninja Mutant Turtles pizza.

It was apple, apparently. Small flakes of burnt apple positively swimming in some sort of green slime. It was vile. It bore more than a passing resemblance to the slime the turles got dunked in smiley - ill

smiley - ale

Key: Complain about this post