A Conversation for Miscellaneous Chat

Why 360 degrees?

Post 1

djsdude

For some time now I have been wondering why there are 360 degrees in a circle. The number has certainly come to us from a long way back. The Mayans Long Count word for a year was a 'Tun', which consisted of 360 days. (See Joanna's entry 'The Mayan Calender System')

Could this mean that they were remebering a time when a year was 360 day long? The Earth's orbit is slowing down, but not by five and quarter days in 3000 years.

So when? How? What? Why?????

Sorry to burden you, but this is really bugging me.

Why 360 degrees?

Post 2

cloughie(Patron Saint of Flying Pigs)stop by my barbecue! A520318

Good question. Also, why are angles measured the same way in Metric and in English?

Why 360 degrees?

Post 3

Jon Quixote: steaming little purple buns for tea.

It was to do with the Babylonian Clock/Calendar I think. Thats where we get seconds( 60secs in a deg ).

Why 360 degrees?

Post 4

Angles can also be measured in mils. 6400 mils in a circle I think. Its what the military services use.

Why 360 degrees?

Post 5

the other omylouse "multiply (1*6) by (6*1+0+3)!"

u also have radians. there are 2pi radians in a circle (pi radians = 180 degrees) smiley - smiley

Why 360 degrees?

Post 6

That is right. And incidently, I have had many experiences with omylice as I am a scientist. Foolishly I forgot rads.

Why 360 degrees?

Post 7

the other omylouse "multiply (1*6) by (6*1+0+3)!"

i dont blame u. rads r annoyin (tho no dount their use will b unveiled to us eventually).
i hope ur experiences wiv omylice we all happy 1s? omylice dont really mean 2 cause trouble (honest!)

Why 360 degrees?

Post 8

No they've all been good.

Why 360 degrees?

Post 9

djsdude

Thanks for the contributions guys, but what I suppose I'm trying to ascertain is whether or not the number of degrees in a circle has anything to do with a past number of days in a year.

The Mayan Haab Calender has 5 phantom days (thanks again Joanna) added on to the Long Count 360 day year. This seems to be an adjustment because 'time' had changed since the invention of the Long Count. Now these Mayans weren't thick. They knew how many days it took for the Earth to go round the Sun.

Also the Sumarians were using the 12 base counting system long before the Babylonians. It's because of them that the British still used £.s.d up until 1971.

Maybe I'm just barking Mad!!!

Why 360 degrees?

Post 10

If the last part is true, then you've come to the right place. smiley - smiley

Why 360 degrees?

Post 11

xyroth

The earliest references to circles and maths that I can find are babylonian, who used base 60 for numbers because it factorises so well. and 360 = 60 times 60 smiley - smiley

Why 360 degrees?

Post 12

That's what I thought. And it is also good to divide the earth into nau miles. 60> 1^ has an angle of one degree.

Why 360 degrees?

Post 13

Also many calendars use a luna system. And religion gets in the way an awful lot of ancient science.

Why 360 degrees?

Post 14

ford sierra estate, blue, 1988

I should know this, but i CAN'T REMEMBER, damm that caps lock key.
You are all talking around the point and getting further and further away from the answer.
It's a lot simpler, give me time to think about it.
I liked the "I'm a Scientist" bit.
You guys/beings are a scream....
bye....

Why 360 degrees?

Post 15

stupidgirl,notanace,possiblyathree (Keeper of thingummies, wotsits and oojamerflips)

It's definitely something to do with seconds/ clock faces....*thinks aloud* ...12 numbers on a clock face...xhalf an hour, or 30, =360....
No, sorry, I have no idea. smiley - winkeye

Why 360 degrees?

Post 16

xyroth

the clock uses 60's and 12 for the same reasons, it is easy to factorise.

Why 360 degrees?

Post 17

stupidgirl,notanace,possiblyathree (Keeper of thingummies, wotsits and oojamerflips)

Factorise? (sorry, there's a vague ghostly memory of factors somewhere but it refuses to surface..)

Why 360 degrees?

Post 18

I'm not gonna touch that with a 20 foot pole... smiley - tongueout

Why 360 degrees?

Post 19

Dunna blame you, mate, I think someone's swearing at me... smiley - winkeye

Why 360 degrees?

Post 20

djsdude

Or maybe there are 360 degrees in a circle just because there are.

Time for my blue pill, I think?

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more