A Conversation for Talking Point: Discrimination

unkown discrimination

Post 1

psycho42

I am personally very against discrimination... I know this sounds cliche; the typical response anyone would give. But... I am not talking about the stereo-typical discrimination against blacks, females, and the "minority". I am an 18 year old white female raised as a proud Southern American. And for that I have been horribly discriminated against. I moved away from my secure southern home about 7 years ago and did not receive a very warm welcome. I was told by a teacher that "southern rednecks are too stupid to be in advanced courses". I was not allowed to join the debate team because "someone with as ridiculus of an accent as mine could never win anything". This hurt, but made me realize that everyone is discriminated against at some point. To use terms like "minority" is discrimination in itself; some areas the minority is black, or hispanic, or white. Everyone is in the minority in some way, at some time. I want to say that it is possible to do away with discrimination and live in "peace and happiness", but all that does is try to create a distopiac, Brave New World (Huxley), Anthem (Rand), society. I don't want to crush anyone's belief that they never discriminate against anyone or that discrimination can end...but I don't believe in either of those. There will never be a time when we can go out somewhere and not see someone and say "I can't believe they would wear that." or "Look at that guy's nose." Each of these are discrimination, mild forms, but discrimination all the same.
I was raised to believe that our society does not discriminate and that it was wrong to discriminate against anyone. People tend to overlook the "harmless" making fun of the stranger that walks by with blue hair, three visible tattoos, and too many piercings to count. That's okay. I have learned that this does not happen. One more cliche comes to mind, practice what you preach, maybe when this happens discrimination will decrease and maybe go away.

unkown discrimination

Post 2

Bambi - Keeper of Crystals and Royal Heart Royal (The Stag of Balwyniti)

I'm very sorry you had to experience this and I'm sorry your faith in human nature has been so cruelly damaged. I agree with a lot of what you say - discrimination is everywhere and all we can do is try to stop the sort of thing you and many other "minorities" have experienced

smiley - reindeer

unkown discrimination

Post 3

Bambi - Keeper of Crystals and Royal Heart Royal (The Stag of Balwyniti)

I'm very sorry you had to experience this and I'm sorry your faith in human nature has been so cruelly damaged. I agree with a lot of what you say - discrimination is everywhere and all we can do is try to stop the sort of thing you and many other "minorities" have experienced

smiley - reindeer

unkown discrimination

Post 4

azahar

hi psycho (great name!)

Read your posting with interest as you seem to have discovered in a rather nasty way that discrimination can also affect 'nice white people' like yourself (don't get upset, am only being a bit ironic, will go on to explain).

Yes, you are right that the majority people who face obvious discrimination are the obvious 'minorities'. And as you said, you left your very safe and secure home where you were a 'proud southern American' (what does that mean? btw) and were suddenly hit with nastiness.

Where was it you moved to?

To be told that 'a southern redneck with a ridiculous accent' had a major stigma attached to it must have come as a massive shock to you. And I am sure it hurt a lot. But I also think your professors were totally out of line to say anything like this at all (this is why I was wondering where you are studying).

What heartened me most about your posting is that this unfair treatment has made you more aware of how other people are also very unfairly discriminated against.

<>

In the United States? And in the south, no less? This is what you were raised to believe? Wow, I find that hard to believe (though I am not doubting you) just because the US has a very long history of racial descrimination. Perhaps you were speaking about your own family.

To find yourself suddenly a 'minority' must have been a real eye-opener for you. Yes, in many places the concept of what the 'minority' is changes depending on the people living in these places.

But in fact, in most places 'white people still rule'. Sad to say. I live in Europe and I see it here as well.

As well, as you pointed out, there are other types of discrimination - thinking people who look different are somehow 'inferior' or the obvious butt of cruel jokes.

I think you have been given a very good opportunity to totally re-think everything you have been brought up on and bring all that into the reality you are currently living in. It sounds like you are a very clear-headed person who can see that unfairness in its many forms (such as discrimination) is NOT the way to go.

So, rather than take your experience badly, use it as a way of understanding other people who have had the same experience as you.

This is the first small step to help discrimination decrease.

az

unkown discrimination

Post 5

psycho42

Azahar
To answer your questions: "proud southern American" doesn't mean much more than when raised in a southern state you are raised to be proud to be southern. I don't really know how to explain it, because it's similar to pride in one's country, but slightly below that. Sorry if that doesn't make much sense. As far as where I moved, Florida. Yes that seems like it should be southern, and geographically it is. But Florida's population is mainly former northerners. It was a high school teacher almost 4 years ago who made the comments; I left that school after one year due to that and a few similar incidents. As far as being raised against discrimination; it was more said than actually done. However if you live in a small town of only white Protestants you don't see it. It wasn't until I left that I learned what discrimination was all about, and that the same people who said they were against it, were really some of the most discriminatory. I have left most of that behind, the white shouldn't socialize with the black, Protestant shouldn't date/marry Catholic, etc. It was hard to do this, but personally I believe it was because of the bad experiences I had and that they made me a better person.
Thank you for your interest and response,
Psycho

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more