A Conversation for Random Quotes Guild-Lurking Where All Fine Quotes are Quoted

Favorite Quote?

Post 1941

Rigwoodie_Waldgrave

"They told me you had been to her,
And mentioned me to him;
She gave me a good character,
But said I could not swim."
-Alice in Wonderland, by Lewis Carroll (completely random, but, er, nicely rhymed!)

"Infinity is a dreadfully poor place. They can never manage to make ends meet."
-The Phantom Tollbooth, by Norton Juster

Favorite Quote?

Post 1942

Lostit - Instigator of the Chaos for Thingite

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is to not stop questioning." - Albert Einstein"

Otto Von Bismarck once said, "If there is ever another war in Europe, it will come out of some damned silly thing in the Balkans." before WWI

Favorite Quote?

Post 1943

Brother Maynard

"Coleridge was a drug addict. Poe was an alcoholic. Marlowe was stabbed by a man whom he was treacherously trying to stab. Pope took money to keep a woman's name out of a satire; then wrote a piece so that she could still be recognized anyhow. Chatterton killed himself. Byron was accused of incest. Do you still want to be a writer - and if so, why?"

Bennett Cerf, co-founder of Random House

[Lifted from Publishing nNews]

Favorite Quote?

Post 1944

invisibleknight

Sausage? SAUSAGE???????

Robbie Coltrane playing Dr Johnson on discovering he left the word sausage out of his dictionary in Blackadder the regency yrs.

Favorite Quote?

Post 1945

Ford_Prefect "I reject your reality and substitute my own!"Apocalypse 2006 REPRESENT!

"Nothing is final until you are dead, and even then I'm SURE god negotiates."
- Ever After

"No woman who does what shes told, acts polite, and is well behaved ever made the history books"
- Forgot... but I like it

cheers
fordsmiley - cheers

Favorite Quote?

Post 1946

Al Johnston

Heinrich Heine willed his estate to his wife, on condition she found a new husband.

When asked why he said "When Martha remarries, at least one man will regret my death."

Favorite Quote?

Post 1947

Rev Nick { Only the dead are without fear }

Something rather apt for a lot of folks around "hootoo". Who feel that science supercedes all else, and ANY form of faiths or beliefs are an aberration of the mind. From one of the deeper and respected thinkers of the current time:

'Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence' ... (Carl Sagan)

Favorite Quote?

Post 1948

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." - Mark Twain

smiley - smiley

Favorite Quote?

Post 1949

arrietty42

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom."

Anais Nin

or (I am Gemini, ok?)

"When you make a world tolerable for yourself, you make a world tolerable for others."

Anais Nin

Favorite Quote?

Post 1950

Lucky Llareggub - no more cannibals in our village, we ate the last one yesterday..

An old pal of mine, a local house painter with a flecked ginger wig, apart from weekends when he washed it to go out or maybe had a spare (I never dared ask!), had a lovely motto that sticks in my mind:
"When we win we'll have the gin and when we lose we'll have the booze".

Favorite Quote?

Post 1951

-

"Time wounds all heels"
Groucho Marx

or

"Time heals all wounds, unless you've got a rash, in which case your better off with some ointment"
Holly, from Red Dwarf series 8

Favorite Quote?

Post 1952

Ford_Prefect "I reject your reality and substitute my own!"Apocalypse 2006 REPRESENT!

OMG I loveeeeee Red Dwarf... its one of the only british shows we get down here!!
cheers
fordsmiley - cheers

Favorite Quote?

Post 1953

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

"Every single song
Is calculated
By the moneymakers,
And it DRIVES ME CRAZY!"
'Death of a DJ' by The Revs

"Revenge may be sweet, but it is not generally listed on the children's menu."
Lucifer, 'Gods and Monsters' by Mike Carey

Favorite Quote?

Post 1954

-

"Catch 44 situation, you see"
"You mean catch 22?"
"No, its twice as bad as that"
Red Dwarf series 8

Favorite Quote?

Post 1955

Lucky Llareggub - no more cannibals in our village, we ate the last one yesterday..

Another from Groucho Marx for Capt Jack -
Doctor holding patient's wrist:

Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped

Favorite Quote?

Post 1956

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.

Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Favorite Quote?

Post 1957

invincibledriver

"religions are founded on the fear of the many and the cleverness of the few."
-Stendhal

Favorite Quote?

Post 1958

Now, patience; and remember patience is the great thing, and above all things else we must avoid anything like being or becoming out of patience. A good plan used by worried business folk who may not have had many momentums to mastes Kung's doctrine of the meang of the propriety codestruces of Carprimustimus is just to think of all the sinking fund of patience possessed in their conjoint names by both brothers Bruce with whom are incoroprated their Scotch spider and Elberfeld's Calculating Horses.

James Joyce / Finnegans Wake p108

Favorite Quote?

Post 1959

-

"People will get tired of staring into a plywood box every night"
Darryl F. Zanuck, head of 20th Century Fox,
on the subject of Telly, 1946

Favorite Quote?

Post 1960

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

"'Ere! You! Young feller-me-lad! Come 'ere! I'll swop you Yer Heart's Desire fer a year of yer life. No? Yer voice, then? Or the color of yer eyes? One of yer fingers, then? Yer've got ten of the littel buggers, you'll never miss one. It's Yer Heart's Desire I'm offrin', ducky, none of yer tat."
A stallholder at the goblin market, 'Books of Magic' by Neil Gaiman

"If we are superior, why are we not victorious?"
A Dalek, 'Doctor Who: Daleks in Manhattan' (series 3, episode 4)

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more