A Conversation for Talking Point: Schools and Violence

I was a teacher once...

Post 1

Hati

Mostly it was fun.

But once one of my students (10 yrs) broke my window because he was angry with me. He organied it fixed later though. smiley - winkeye

I have had a dead mouse on my table and smiley - snowball on the lamp above my head but I guess that's it. smiley - smiley

I was a teacher once...

Post 2

Smudger879n

I can remember when I was at school, if you caused trouble you got the belt! and that was sore! It did however make you behave. Now Its totally different, the student cant be touched at all. So when they leave school they do so without any discipline, or respect for any one or any thing. Society has gone soft!! Half of them can not even read or write when they leave school, I have seen their job applications? it is a joke!smiley - sadfacesmiley - cheersSmudger.

I was a teacher once...

Post 3

Cakewalker

I'm grateful caning is illegal, but agree that the current situation with teachers having such limited options for punishing unruly kids is rediculous. The last thing teachers need is for kids to think they can get away with anything, but it's increasingly the case. The problem parents of problem pupils often have social workers in tow, telling them their rights, and some of these 'rights' beggar belief. It's possible, for example, for a teacher to be accused of kidnapping if they put a pupil in an afternoon detention. Some schools become 'sinks' for expelled kids because of local education authority politics and those that don't have difficulty expelling pupils.

I was a teacher once...

Post 4

PuzzleMage

It's hard all right. I don't think kids should get hit at school, but these days a teacher can't even restrain a kid who's trying to hit them or someone else without getting in trouble.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more