A Conversation for Talking Point: Schools and Violence

problem kids

Post 1

mikey

although this is probably going to sound quite draconian i am very concerned at the inclusion of problem kids in mainstream schools and if we could distance ourselves for a moment from the problems these kids have and think for a moment of the problems that their presence causes other kids i think this would be helpful. I am deeply disturbed to hear my 9 year old daughter discussing a fellow pupil getting stressed and throwing chairs around. this disturbs me on more than one level as not only are there the obvious risks to life and limb there is also the language being used. Saying that this boy stresses appears to me to be an attempt to offer a quasi-scientific explanation and therefore excuse for violent behaviour which is not only dangerous but in my view damned irresponsible.
Obviously i have only picked uopn one aspect of this subject but it is one that i feel maybe goes some way to explaining how things are spiralling. I would also add that the mother of this child quite openly admits that she is unable to control him as though this is something to be proud of or maybe in an attempt to gain pity although i would remind anyone who may feel pity that in 9 years time this poor lad will be a fully grown man and if he has not learnt the restraints and responsibilities of decent society by then i wonder how many will continue to feel pity.


problem kids

Post 2

PuzzleMage

I understand that some children who have been traditionally excluded from normal classrooms benefit greatly from the new policies -- for children who are physically disabled, being in a normal classroom is better for them and helps the other children learn some useful things, too. But my brother (who is physically and very mentally disabled) would have done better in a environment that was less standardized. I don't think he really got much out of the classes, and someone could have been doing hand-eye coordination with him during that time, instead. The violent kids, in my opinion, should be kept in a smaller, more controlled environment where an adult can deal with their outbursts immediately.


problem kids

Post 3

mikey

absolutely and please dont think i am advocating exclusion for everyone if someone is going to benefit from being in a classroom and participate in it then their inclusion is not only right but valuable in developing understanding and harmony and that is essentially the point that the kids who do behave should be given priority


problem kids

Post 4

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

One solution that is sometimes used in US schools when children who have these explosive outburts are mainstreamed is to provide them with a 1 on 1 aide, who can safely physically restrain the child if need be, and is trained in ways to help the child calm down (which sometimes includes a short time outside the classroom, so the academics of the other students are less impeded by the outburst). Of course, this is pretty expensive, even though the aides aren't paid very well (only slightly more than minimum wage in most areas). Which makes it difficult for school districts to afford this option for many students. And of course now that Georgie has signed a law saying that these aides have to have at least 2 years of college, but hasn't provided any money to pay them better, school districts may find themselves even more strapped for such aides.

*sigh*

Mikey smiley - mouse


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more