A Conversation for Sere's Agony corner.

I've got a problem.

Post 1

Not him

I tend towards aspergers and quite commonly make social mistakes, or am rejected by people. Unfortunately I have what amounts to an obsession about mistakes and rejection, especially socially, and whenever I make a mistake/ think I make a mistake it takes me ages to get over it, especially because I relive all of the other mistakes I've made, and all of the other times I've been rejected. It normally takes me about a week to get over it. When I'm depressed, sometimes I'll fall into that too. Is there any way of stopping my mind from puting me through this torture?


I've got a problem.

Post 2

swl

As you no doubt know, depression is a vicious circle and very difficult to break out of. The only suggestion I can make is using a distraction technique. Find something you can totally immerse yourself in - a hobby perhaps, or your work.

I was dumped by someone I loved very much in a very harsh way. I was suicidal and made one serious attempt. For about 3 weeks I retreated into myself. Then I took a job as a taxi driver and worked double and treble shifts before enrolling on a college course. It didn't take away the pain, but I had less time to dwell on it.

I suggest you do something similar. In general, I would say don't be afraid of making mistakes. We all make them every day and very rarely learn our lesson. Making the same mistake twice doesn't make you a fool, contrary to popular opinion. It makes you human,like the rest of us.

Good luck smiley - ok


I've got a problem.

Post 3

Tonsil Revenge (PG)

As an aspie myself, I've learned the hard way that the obsessive recycling of "what I could have done" to avoid the situation that is presently bothering me actually does have a positive reinforcement element in that my brain feels more pleasure from that then it normally does in situations involving other people.

Diverting yourself by putting yourself in additional areas where embarrassment might result usually doesn't work with Aspies.
I've found that reading biographies does help. The ups and downs of others often provides a way to entertain as well as feel a little superior to those who helped induce my depression.


I've got a problem.

Post 4

Serephina

I know little about aspergers I'm afraid smiley - hug but for depression in general I would definately try to ditract myself. If getting out socially or to work etc is likely to aggrevate some of your symptoms then try a new hobby or interest you can minly do at home, a buisy mind really helps though..and always see a dr.

As for the beating yourself up about mistakes n supposed ones, have you considerd counseliing?if you are at collge..you are arent you? you should be able to see someone free and it really can help.


I've got a problem.

Post 5

Not him

I've had some counselling, but college finished, so...

aspergers: social problems, especially difficulty in groups etc. normally talking 1-to-1 is ok.

I have glandular fever, and probably can't work. getting out socially has probably exacerbated the glandular fever, and today I've struggled to do anything: I've been lying on my bed reading books, it's all I've been fit for. I shall make a trip to the library tomorrow, to see if I can get a book on programming, I think.

glandular fever is very often linked to depression, too.

hobby or interest you can minly do at home: hootoo? smiley - winkeye


I've got a problem.

Post 6

Tonsil Revenge (PG)

You seem to have a series of comorbid problems. Aspergers should be the least of them. I applaud the effort that you are able to exert, many would be very laid low, not to mention depressed, by your situation. Keep up the good work!

Hobbies are not a solution for Aspies. Mainly because there is no such thing as a simple diversion for the Asperger's set. They are obsessed by what interests them and aggravated by what doesn't.
While a so-called neuro-typical individual might find relaxation in going home to a task different from what they did for a vocation, a true Aspie would be so involved in their particular interest that they would be thinking or practicing it no matter where they are or what time it is. They don't have too many channels to choose from.


I've got a problem.

Post 7

Not him

I have several subjects I could bore you rigid on...

I have glandukar fever, and some problems associated with that: my mouth is full of ulcers, and I get tired very easily.

I'm ornery: tell me to do little, and I'll do as much as possible!

I've not got aspergers: I don't fulfil the criteria, as it doesn't make a significant impact on my life. That's the only criterion I fail, though. I've had hobbies almost all my life, and to combat aspergers I've spent a lot of time watching people and experimenting carefully in order to be able to deal with them successfully.

I'm about to go on holiday, and at the moment, I'm relaxing almost aggressively!

Oh, and I'm strange all over. Want a discussion of the weird and wonderful? how about a man who can, at will, change his entire personality, abilities, and mindset? I can't change the physical things(height, fror example), but anything mental, I can change quite easily.

I guess you could say my main occupation was trying to be socially acceptable, with academic stuff coming a close second.

Insanity? why not?


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more