A Conversation for When can we be friends?

Peer Review: A931772 - When can we be friends?

Post 1

Zed

Entry: When can we be friends? - A931772
Author: Researcher 215421 - U215421

Re: A931772 - 'When can we be friends?'
I'd be interested to receive your thoughts.


A931772 - When can we be friends?

Post 2

Mat Lindsay (the researcher formerly known as Nylarthotep...now he has a name, all he needs is a face)

My initial thoughts are that this is a little hard to follow!

You seem to be pouring your heart out here friend and I don't want to sound insensitive, but the EG isn't really the place to do that.

The writing guidelines ask you not to write in the first person and about personal experiences as the edited guide is supposed to be a factual and objective guide to every subject under the sun.

You might want to put these musings in your journal or post them at speaker's corner where folks go to look for a good discussion.


A931772 - When can we be friends?

Post 3

U195408

Paragraphs and headings would be a good start. Could make quite a social commentary on the interaction between man and woman, in the platonic sense, how and why that sometimes fails.


A931772 - When can we be friends?

Post 4

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Yes, I think this entry is a little misplaced in Peer Review.

It might be good for you to have a peek at the Writing-Guidelines Researcher, so that you can get an idea of the sorts of things that Peer Review is for.

This feels like it would be more at home in one of the conversation forums,

Anyway, welcome to h2g2, Researcher. Feel free to ask any of us to show you the ropes.smiley - smiley

><.smiley - musicalnote


A931772 - When can we be friends?

Post 5

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

Yes it appears that many new researchers are submitting their intitial self introductions to PR and not opening their homepage.

This means they are not being discovered and welcomed by the ACES and the first impressions they get of h2g2 are a lot of grief from the vultures of Peer Review who are often too eager to criticise and generally insensitive to a newbie's confusion about what is where is what and why around here.

Perhaps the ACES will be good enough to monitor these situations or provide a 'standard text' response which the vultures may insert which would guide the newbie back to square one without abuse, insult and injury. It is little wonder that while so many register, so few stick around.

This is a huge site, and takes some getting used to. Perhaps someone will pass some suggestions on to Feedback or the ACES or somewhere it might do some good. Obviously the 'submit for review' button is not working as intended and the 'edit page' button on each homepage is being misunderstood. And the ACES are missing dozens of newbies who do not activate their homepage. smiley - yikes This makes more than a dozen I've seen this past week.
smiley - peacedove
~jwf~


A931772 - When can we be friends?

Post 6

PQ

Why not make it impossible to submit for review without activating your U space?


A931772 - When can we be friends?

Post 7

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

I think this has been suggested before - can't remember the reason it wasn't accepted. Why not try making it though the 'feedback' mechanism?

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote


A931772 - When can we be friends?

Post 8

U195408

caw caw. Anyone seen a dead carcas lying around for me to pick at?


A931772 - When can we be friends?

Post 9

Mat Lindsay (the researcher formerly known as Nylarthotep...now he has a name, all he needs is a face)

If you want fresh stay in the Peer Review...more ripe and gamey carcasses can usually be found in the Flea Market, my fellow carrion bird!


A931772 - When can we be friends?

Post 10

U195408

flap flap, off to flea market


A931772 - When can we be friends?

Post 11

Mat Lindsay (the researcher formerly known as Nylarthotep...now he has a name, all he needs is a face)

Bon apetite.


A931772 - When can we be friends?

Post 12

U195408

by the way, how do I get to the flea market?


A931772 - When can we be friends?

Post 13

PQ

Go to PR and click on the flea market lionk (far left along the top line of links, next to AWW)


A931772 - When can we be friends?

Post 14

U195408

thank you very much! flap flap flap.


Observation.

Post 15

Zed

Maybe the article's content disturbs you and that's why you can't proffer serious criticism.


Observation.

Post 16

caper_plip

Hi there!

I for one do not think that the content is disturbingsmiley - smiley However, I have to agree with the point that it is not suitable for Peer Review and the Edited Guide.

The reason for this is that Entries that are submitted into Peer Review have to conform to the Writing-Guidelines, which includes:

- avoiding first-person references
- trying to be as objective as possible

...and other such pointers, which may be found through that link.

Now, I found this quite an interesting readsmiley - ok However, I am getting the feeling from your response that you are not getting the positive comments that were expected, and this may have something to do with the fact that this Entry, in its current state, is not one for entering the Edited Guide, as it is more of a personal experience, which would be perfect as a Journal Entry.

On the other hand, you could submit it to places like Speaker's Corner, a place that is excellent for listening to people's views; <./>ThePost</.>, H2G2's very own newspapersmiley - thepost; the Alternative Writing Workshop, where the Writing Guidelines have no dominion over as long as the Entries fit the BBC <./>HouseRules</.>, found at Writing-Alternative, or Ask the H2G2 Community, a very popular conversation forum, almost always placed 1st in the '5 Busiest Conversations' on the Front Page, found at F19585?thread="smiley - smiley" title="smiley" class="smiley" src="http://www.h2g2.com/h2g2/skins/Alabaster/images/Smilies/f_smiley.gif"/>

However, if you did make this Entry so it adhered to the Writing Guidelines and was a budding contender for entrance to the Edited Guide, it would find a home in Peer Review very easilysmiley - smiley In that case, perhaps you could have a look at Writing-Beginners, which gives a sort of idea of the format of Peer Review/Edited Guide Entriessmiley - smiley

I hope this helps!

Caper Plipsmiley - artist


Observation.

Post 17

U195408

For the record, I have made constructive criticisms, and said I liked this article.

James - you have yet to respond to any of the criticisms or make even the slightest changes to your article.

I started cawing when someone pointed out that the peer review crew act like a bunch of vultures, which is true to a certain extent. Especially for me.

If you would like to respond to any or all of the constructive criticisms, or would like to make even the slightest of changes to your article, then we could get somewhere.

Dave


Me again

Post 18

Zed

I'll have a look at it. But in terms of "getting somewhere" I was under the impression that the Unedited Guide was as respectable as the Edited Guide and not just comic relief, merely less honed.


Me again

Post 19

U195408

ahh yes, you are dead on correct about the unedited guide. But right now you've submitted your entry for the EDITED guide, which is why we've been trying to help you get it into the right format/standards.


Me again

Post 20

Zed

Where else would I experience such a terrific learning curve?


Key: Complain about this post