The h2g2 Post 23.10.23

0 Conversations

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 23rd October 2023

This week's title is Here, There, Everywhere. Clockwise from top let: Four zebra finches of various colours lined up on a tree branch inside their new flight cage, a green English f ield with an array of cows, a small black dog on the edge of the swollen Averon River in Scotland, a whale in Australian ocean waters, the Pont Colbert, a swing bridge in Dieppe, France, on a sunny day, the spire of the Clarion County, Pennsylvania, courthouse, against a blue sky, Sagrys the South African kitty taking an indoor nap, and the dual tracks of a funicular in Normandy.

When I say, I hope you had a good week, I mean that in the broadest and most inclusive sense of the statement. If all is well, you're enjoying your social media and streaming offerings, and the worst thing in your life right now is the pervasive, odious scent of pumpkin spice, I rejoice with you. If you're 'going through some things', my prayers are with you. I hope this week's issue will help lift the spirits and bring on a laugh or two to ease the stress of yet another medical appointment, job interview, or night shift.

But if, like millions out there, life is definitely NOT autumn leaves and sunshine and scented coffee, and more the nightmare from which we all wish to awaken, then I have something to say to you: we may not be able to do much, right now, we mere denizens of the virtual space. We may only be able to sign the petitions and write the outraged emails and poke our disposable currency into the outstretched tins. We may be powerless at the moment to stop the armies, bring down the planes and missiles, bring the food and water, or shout down the tyrants and summon the rains.

We may not have much to offer beyond those thoughts and prayers which we are constantly being assured are worth less than nothing. But we are not so sure.

Other days will come. We will be ready for them. In the meantime, we can at least practise talking to each other like the decent siblings of planet Earth that we are. Just know that we are thinking of you.

Our contributors have been all over this week: from Australia to the Limpopo, from France to Scotland to Pennsylvania and back. You'll see sky and sea and river, sun and rain and rainbow. Big and small creatures, indoors and out. TRIGGER WARNING: there may be scary things in the 'Creatures' section, depending on what doesn't float your boat. (Cows, snakes, geese, those menacing zebra finches. . .) Be careful in here.

There's humour and speculation and maybe even a fact or two. Find out what others are reading and watching and thinking. Help us keep up our end of the pact with the rest of the suffering world: to bring our attention to bear on what is, so that what should be can someday become what will be.

And that's it. That's the tweet. Now go read all this and be excellent to one another.


Dmitri Gheorgheni



Cover for The Building, DG's new book, available from Lulu.
You have a friend who
NEEDS THIS BOOK.
Buy it now!



Quote of the Week. We have more memory space than we think, and it is filled with questionable content like cat food ad music, all the car registration numbers you ever had and such.

– Caiman Raptor Elk
Tombstone and trees.


October 2023 Post Challenge:
Tales to Make You Shiver


Video Extra:
Nuthatch
Click here in Ripley


WATER SPORTS
Whale of a Time

Whale in ocean by MWA courtesy of FWR.

MIND GAMES

CREATURES GREAT AND SMALL

Geese Getting It Together

Geese making V-formation, by Paigetheoracle.


INGENUITY




Another Autumn,
Another Tractor Trophy

Prize-winning FarmAll tractor, by DG.
SEE YOU IN THE FUNNY PAPERS
  • Video
  • Autorama Cruise-In 2023.

FLOWER SHOW


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A88037850

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more