The h2g2 Post 18.09.23

0 Conversations

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 18th September 2023

This week's theme is Wider Horizons. On a deep blue background, some parasailers in a blue sky with the moon in the background. A brooding cloudy horizon over a grey sea at Cleethorpes. Bees on bright yellow ragwort flowers. A string of geese flying over the mountains of Scotland. A river rushing over rocks. A field of ripe grain under a blue sky with white, fluffy clouds. A green farm passture in the mountains at sunset, with a tractor, trailer, and gravel road in the foreground. Under it all, isolated images of a laughing camel (statue), a white goose, and a ship with the name Mein Schiff 3.

Lots to see this week! It seems like half of our contributors have been travelling. We have an evocative (sorry, FWR!) image from Turkey that speaks of wonders to come. Galaxy Babe has been touring in the south of exotic Wales and turned up a gem of an old church. She takes you on a tour that includes rare items, marvels in stained glass, and dead people. Paigetheoracle stayed closer to home, but the faraway puts in at the local harbours. Willem has another African bird for us to wonder at.

Meanwhile, in the autumnal northern hemisphere, farmers are harvesting. Hoggetts finished the new barn and gathered their hay. SashaQ found some busy (and photogenic) insects. Galaxy Babe, back home, saw a brooding sky over the sea. Paigetheoracle captured the wild geese in flight, and FWR saw one in a lake of grass. Water, land, sky: lots to look at and admire.

We have the first story in answer to our 'Dogs of War' challenge: FWR's tale will give you a chuckle. You didn't expect that from the challenge prompt, now, did you? We're full of surprises around here. Don't believe me? Check out Bluebottle's comic. It never fails to astonish. Oh, and please take the cow quiz. We've got livestock on the brain this week.

For those who might be thinking of joining in for our next writing project: our writers, being exhausted, have agreed to wait until January to begin the next excursion. It will involve choosing a previously written story and writing a sequel to it. If you have previously written a novella, serial, or short story for the Post and would like to get in on this project, you have the rest of the year to be thinking about it.

Speaking of writing, there's a new book on the market: The Building, now properly labelled as 'Fiction/Metaphysical', is on sale. It would make a good gift for the fantasy reader who has everything, hint, hint. Or the folklorist friend you'd like to annoy.

Have a good week out there! Enjoy the sunshine, the rain, the warmth, the heat (stop cursing, UK!), the coolth, whatever, and remember: change is good, but learn to savour the moments. They're so fleeting.


Dmitri Gheorgheni



Mailbox.
Write the Post at:
postteamhg-at-gmail-dot-com
Tweet at the Post and Edited Guide:
@h2g2_Guide



Editing Lesson of the Week:The convicted killer crab walked between two walls and pushed through newly installed razor wire to break out of prison, authorities say.

CNN Headline

(If you don't know what VITAL piece of punctuation is missing here, talk to the Post Editor.)

Soldiers and sailors with a variety of large and small dogs.


September 2023 Post Challenge:
The Dogs of War


Video Extra:
Morning Hummingbird
by DG
Click here in Ripley


ANIMAL WORLD
Yellow-Streaked Greenbul

Yellow-streaked Greenbul by Willem.

OUR THOUGHTS

  • Create
  • Monday Morning Coming Down.

  • Video
  • Where have we met before?


TRAVEL AND TOURISM


Turkey

Mountain morning in Turkey by FWR.


SEASONS




Autumn Sky
Autumn sky in Shandwick, by Paigetheoracle.
SEE YOU IN THE FUNNY PAPERS
SIGHTINGS


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A88034024

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more