The h2g2 Post: 14.09.20

0 Conversations

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 14th September 2020

Human and Animal Behaviour

Woolly Bottlebrush, by Willem.The world around us is beautiful, if we learn to stop setting fire to it, polluting it, or ripping it to shreds. Our fellow creatures, too, are beautiful, most of the time, and we should learn to share the planet. Our fellow humans? Puzzling, often. Endearing, sometimes. Amusing, too.

We have got so much exciting Stuff for you this week, it's hard to know where to begin.

Let's start with that photo. It's from Willem's winter herping trip to the Wolkberg. He and his friends saw lots of exotic snakes and lizards and such. This week, we've got so many spectacular photos to show you that we decided to try something new. To truly enjoy this episode of 'Colours of Wildlife', you really need to be using the Pliny skin. If you're in Ripley, you'll have to click the link to see the photos, but if you're in Pliny, you can enjoy the superior-type slideshow right where it is on the page. Use your Youtube 'pause' button to stop while you read Willem's description of each photo. (Note: if you haven't been reading the Post Editorial Page in Pliny, you've been missing out on the embedded videos, so start doing that right away.)

We're full of surprises like that. So read the instructions carefully.
Hexagonal washcloth (blue variegated), knitted and photographed by Mrs Hoggett.

  • Mrs Hoggett has made a Clever Thing: a hexagonal washcloth. They're pretty and useful, these washcloths. If you are literate in Crochet, you will appreciate the crocheting guide enclosed. If not, just enjoy the pictures. Maybe Sasha will make you one if you ask nicely and offer to write a guide entry.
  • Our contributors have had lots of wildlife adventures this week. Factoid Fred (aka Paigetheoracle) has been yelling at gulls, who fail to appreciate his views on child-rearing. Meanwhile, Freewayriding's Buddha has been visited by a frantic bird who was either seeking enlightenment or a way out. It's all the fault of Jax the cat.
  • Speaking of cats, our intrepid vet-of-the-week is Kitkat, who performed amazing surgery on Brownie the kitten over at the Hoggett Farm. If you've never heard of a botfly, beware: this is a bit like the plot of Alien. It has a happy ending, as the monster is defeated.
  • Speaking of monsters, have fun guessing the identity of FWR's Very Ugly Caterpillar. This might make a good children's book for Wednesday and Pugsly.
  • Fruit has ripened. People have taken road trips and found interesting things. Humour has been committed. Awix has watched another movie. SashaQ has filmed birds and I have filmed rodents, and Willem has drawn a hellworld and a pussycat. In short, we've got what you've come to expect here: the variety that is the spice of hitchhiking.
Remember that you're supposed to be remembering for us, and sending in your photos, writings, and reportage. Have a good week. And try not to set fire to anything.


Dmitri Gheorgheni



Wherever on Earth you are, Read the h2g2 Post.
Know where your towel is.
Wherever you are,
Read the h2g2 Post!


Mailbox
Write the Post at:
postteamhg-at-gmail-dot-com
Tweet at the Post and Edited Guide:
@h2g2_Guide



Quote of the Week: Scintillate, scintillate, diminutive stellar orb. How inexplicable to me seems the stupendous problem of your existence. Elevated at such an immeasurable distance in an apparently perpendicular direction from this terrestrial planet which we occupy, resembling in thy dazzling and unapproachable effulgence a gem of purest carbon set solitaire in a university of space..

– Fred McFeely Rogers

Create September 2020 by Freewayriding
September Create Challenge:
Try to Remember




LIFE: DON'T TALK TO ME ABOUT LIFE
Zen Adventure

Buddhist Bird by FWR.

POSTCARDS FROM INNER SPACE

SIGNS OF THE TIMES

We're Speechless

Shopping trolley in river by Paigetheoracle. He didn't put it there, he just took the picture.


NATURAL PHENOMENA




How to Remove a
Botfly Larva

Brownie the kitten, completely free of botfly parasites, by Mrs Hoggett.
RANDOM GOODIES
  • Video
  • Rodents thinking hard.

  • How to:
  • Crochet a hexagonal washcloth.

ONGOING STORIES


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87989170

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more