The h2g2 Post: 13.07.20

0 Conversations

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 13th July 2020

Horizons

Panorama by Kitkat
I'm not talking about moving in

And I don't want to change your life

But there's a warm wind blowing, the stars are out…

Parker McGee


We've been looking around. So have you, to judge from what gets thrown over the virtual transom. Kitkat sent this panorama from the farm. We're thankful. Somehow, our inability to get too close to each other these days makes us more alert to what we can see, hear, and perceive with our other senses, some of which may, or may not, be over the International Paranormalcy Line. You can judge for yourselves from what's in this issue. It's kind of amazing. We're bordering on the miraculous here, no lie.

I would urge you to give each and every photograph in this collection its due attention. Likewise the videos, of which there are several. Then read the features, essays, fiction, and poetry. And think: nobody in this mag is trying to sell anything. They don't want you to join a club1 or sign a petition or contribute to any fund. They just want to share the view from their window, garden, street, or mountain top.

They're not talking about moving in, and they don't want to change your life. You might, though – if you do, will you tell us about it? Confession: that song lyric is a mondegreen for me. I always heard, 'I'm not talkin' 'bout millennia…' and I thought it was a cool thing to say. So it goes.

Whatever they're talking about, please pay heed.
Crow on Shed Roof by DG
  • Photography at its finest: From the wide-open spaces and all they contain, to the tiniest snail on the log, we have pictures and videos of nature's bounty. Be sure to learn what an anhinga is, and see how awesome. We even have make-believe pictures, or pictures about make-believe things like Discord, and Willem's Twengilon, and that weird invisible guy with the bowler hat Magritte's always haunting us with.
  • Creative writing: ongoing graphic stories, like Desideria and whatever-it-is Bluebottle's telling. 'It's in the Cards', part 3 this week. If you like Agatha Christie, you're bound to love this story by Reefgirl. There's a poem by Paigetheoracle, too.
  • Thoughty Stuff: Awix on artsy cinema, me on arty writing, me again on the Great Awoke-ening, which is what I'm calling the Woke revolution (patent pending), and some dead people telling us why they built those statues everyone's tearing down. (I thought you might want to know what they thought they were doing. It's kind of weird.)
  • Jokes and snark and a quiz. Of course.

A word from Robbie Stamp: work on being a good ancestor. If they built a statue to you, would they sooner or later have to take it down? What would you rather leave behind to remember you than a bronze pigeon roost? Send us pics of your public art, and share your thoughts. And have a good week!




Mailbox
Write the Post at:
postteamhg-at-gmail-dot-com
Tweet at the Post and Edited Guide:
@h2g2_Guide



Quote of the Week:   You've got to tell the truth before you get to reconciliation.

– Bryan Stevenson, US lawyer and civil rights activist


Create July 2020 by Freewayriding
July Create Challenge:
Public Art:
Its Works and Pomps



And Now, a Shameless Plug
for our FABULOUS MERCH!
Post logo t-shirt
T-shirts! Buttons! Tote Bags!
TOWELS!!!
No, we don't get all the money. We get about 5 bucks/euros for each t-shirt. But you're supporting the cause and getting wearable bragging rights. You'll be the envy of every hitchhiker from here to the Crab Nebula. Designed by Tavaron da Quirm.


Dmitri Gheorgheni

THE ASTONISHMENT OF NATURE
Labrador Ducks

Labrador Ducks by Willem

PERSONAL REFLECTIONS

  • Op/Ed
  • The Great Awoke-ening.

EVERYWHERE YOU LOOK

Dappled Things

Snail on Log by Kitkat


THINGS WE NOTICED




Yarrow
Yarrow by Tavaron
WHIMSY

STORYLINES


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page


1Other than h2g2, if you haven't yet, and you would like to contribute. No charge, and no Sirius Cybernetics robot salesmen will call.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87989080

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more