The h2g2 Post 28.08.17

1 Conversation

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 28th August 2017

h2g2 Will Not Be Eclipsed!

The roses in the park were not visibly affected by the recent eclipse. No, friends and froods, h2g2 is not daunted by eclipses. Unlike certain politicians, we even know how NOT to look at a temporary occlusion of the sun. Thus, we have some amazing photos to share from the sidereal event last Monday. The roses seemed unaffected by the ruckus in the sky: they bloomed on bravely in the park. Out at the farm, the local humans had an unobstructed view, while the goats and horse decided that increasing darkness meant dinner time, and demanded to be fed. Birds got confused, too, and switched their chorus schedule.

Amy Pawloski reports that, alas, her part of California was too foggy for meaningful eclipse viewing. Psychocandy, too, had little luck in cloudy Chicago. But deep in the heart of Texas, Baron Grim and the space people had clear skies and a terrific view. Also very good equipment.

'Very good equipment' was not the way to describe the Post Editor's setup. But it did the trick. A couple of bikers and some ladies with a preschooler happened by the town gazebo, and we shared around the projector and our two pairs of NASA-approved eyewear. At exactly maximum coverage point. . . it rained. For about three minutes. After that, we went back to watching, and everyone was astounded by the sight. Which incidentally proves the Earth is round, I believe…anyway, here are some pictures:

Guess who drew this smiley?

Baron Grim's high-tech eclipse picture.Here are. . . pics I took around maximum eclipse (1316 UTC+6) while at work at the Johnson Space Center. Our photographers set up a camera with 600mm lens. I tried to take a snapshot with my mobile through the viewfinder, but they came out a bit more "artistic" than I expected. - Baron GrimBaron Grim catches an eclipse on his hand.
Low-tech cardboard box eclipse picture by Dmitri Gheorgheni.The picture on the left was made with a really high-tech pinhole projector. Fortunately, Amazon Prime had delivered a suitably long box of gluten-free popcorn the day before. Tinfoil was involved, also standing around looking dorky in the middle of town.
NASA said on the internet that we could capture eclipse-shaped shadows between our outstretched fingers. And behold, it worked – as this volunteer demonstrates with a symbolic blessing from the sun and moon. – Dmitri Gheorgheni
Shadows cast by the eclipse of 2017.


Guess who drew this smiley?



We have lots of cool Stuff for you to read this week:
  • Awix reflects on the fortunes of Stephen King movie adaptations.
  • Willem shows you another amazing monkey.
  • FWR scares the socks off you (again). Part V this week.
  • Bluebottle's got more Isle of Wight talk, and Jacks are wild.
  • Cactuscafé takes us on a hopeful journey, with mouse.
  • There are more revelations as to what Ford Prefect liked about Earth.
  • There are the usual attempts to make you laugh.


So read, comment, send more Stuff. We'll be along later in the week with the September Create challenge – all about change. In the meantime, have an enjoyable week, and be glad the sun is back!
Guess who drew this smiley?


Dmitri Gheorgheni

NATURAL AND UNNATURAL HISTORY
  • Putty-Nosed Guenon by Willem.
  • A skeleton on exhibit in the Wellcome Collection, London.

MYSTERIES UNVEILED!

ELEGANT ENTERTAINMENT

  • Mice having a wine and cheese party.
  • Some really negative movie reviews.

TRAVELLING HOPEFULLY?
SOMETHING TO WRITE HOME ABOUT
  • August 2017 Create Challenge by Freewayriding.
FEEDBACK, SUBMISSIONS AND DISCUSSION


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87892997

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more