The h2g2 Post 17.10.16

0 Conversations

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 17th October 2016

The Longest Way Round. . .

The road in front of Milla, somewhere in Sweden, at night. . . .is oft the shortest way home, according to the philosophy prof, or at least his 'auld Irish mother'1. I don't think Milla thought it was, though, when she snapped this picture at my request. Sweden is a very long country, and it's farther to her cousin's house than it is to Rome, she says. I love technology. It allows me to annoy someone riding in a car half a world away (she wasn't driving) and cajole them into sending me a photo, thus allowing me to see what they see. Which in Milla's case was the dark road to Lund.

That's the h2g2 Post for you: letting people see what we see. Read this issue, and you'll be amazed at what our contributors have to show you: South African caves with a violent past. A rare twist in the typically absurd pattern of London traffic – or, possibly, a scene from a new horror movie to rival the Japanese franchises. A dog wearing a necktie on small-town Main Street. A new film gracing the Oxford cinema. A foxy spirit winking slyly by the side of the road.

We've got a lot of fun packed into this one. You'll giggle or snigger, if not outright snorkle at our rarefied humour. And yes, the Management wishes to point out that the h2g2 Post is practically the only venue on the interwebs whose users actually request cartoons with Florence Foster Jenkins puns. What that says about us, we leave to your imaginations. This week, even the wildlife may make you chuckle.

We're midway through October, so remember, you have until Halloween to send in your strange-but-true spooky tales. If the one by FWR doesn't make you shiver, and then mutter, 'Cool!', we miss our guess. pebblederook has a haunting musical tale that will have you on the edge of your piano bench.

So read, ponder, comment, contribute. We want you to enjoy the supernatural month as much as possible. Dress warmly out there, the wind's picking up. Maybe put a knitted cozy on your mobile.


Dmitri Gheorgheni

BIOLOGICAL EXUBERANCE
  • Rhinoceros Hornbill by Willem.
  • The Octopi That Menaced London.

DELVING INTO OUR PSYCHES

THE TRUTH ABOUT DOGS AND CATS

  • A black cat looking out a screen door.
  • A dog wearing an necktie and marching in a parade.

DESULTORY JOURNEYS, UNNECESSARY CINEMATIC REFERENCES,
and an uncalled-for rant
YOUR EERIE TALES HERE
FEEDBACK, SUBMISSIONS AND DISCUSSION


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page


1This was supposed to explain Thomas Aquinas. It didn't.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87876698

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more