A Rant Against Spiritism

0 Conversations

A blast from the past: seriously, this writer is blasting away with everything he's got.

A Rant Against Spiritism1

Ed Note: Just in time for Halloween, we bring you this warning as a public service. It's from Spiritism, the Modern Satanism by Thomas F Coakley, and it was first published in 1920. And you thought the passion for paranormal phenomena started with the internet, admit it. We think you'll enjoy the rant.

Spiritism a Plot to Destroy Christianity

The most popular amusement this year is Spiritism. A vast proportion of the population is practicing it, consulting mediums, purchasing the latest books, magazines and newspapers dealing with it and attending lectures by the leaders of Spiritism and Psychic Research in such numbers that no hall in America has been large enough to contain those clamoring for admittance. The Eighteenth Amendment to the American Constitution enacting Prohibition has
well nigh abolished the cabaret of dances2; but in its place we have a cabaret of ghosts, with continuous performances, night and day. The spirits have invaded the literary field and volumes are written and dictated by spirit controls, who seem to favor literary folk above other ancient and honorable professions; Detectives have their favorite mediums for the purpose of apprehending criminals3, and brokers and their clients consult them frequently to learn the fate of their investments. Some business men keep several mediums on their payroll, consulting them independently on questions of importance, and basing their action upon their agreement or disagreement. School children are purchasing the Ouija pointer at bargain sales in the basements of large department stores4; fashionable ladies consult the planchette at afternoon teas, until the country at large seems to have been seized as in the grip of an epidemic of Spiritism.

Crazes such as this sweep over the world from time to time. They seem to have their cycles
just as diseases come and go. The present momentum obtained by Spiritism threatens to rock
the bases of civilization and of reason, unless we soon revert to sanity and wholesomeness.

The Literary Corner Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

17.10.16 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1Also called spiritualism.2Except in Chicago.3Think Alison Dubois in a cloche hat.4Obviously, Ouija boards aren't safe to put in shop windows.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87878885

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more