Venerable Researchers: Wandrin' Star

1 Conversation

A chatty budgerigar with a book called 'How to Speak to Humans'.

Venerable Researchers

Another interviewee provided me with an introduction, so I'll let her words start us off. Please welcome Wand'rin Star.

I was a teacher of English as a Foreign Language for over 40 years. So I get stuck into grammar and vocab questions. I also have long conversations about whisky and China. I still use h2g2 to communicate with the son that introduced me to it, although there are quicker ways like Messenger.

When did you join h2g2?

October 1999.

How did you hear of/find h2g2?

My elder son, then known as Spearcarrier, now Is Mise Duncan, sent me an email about it. Pre-skype etc it was a good way of keeping in touch with him.

Why did you join h2g2?

I had always enjoyed Douglas Adams (from the days of the radio broadcasts) and most of the early posts were whimsical fun.

Did you jump right in, or did you lurk awhile first?

Jumped right into conversation threads and took a couple of weeks to set up my user page.

Have you written an Edited Entry?

Yes.

How many?

About 15.

What was your first Entry?

20 Guidelines for Raising a Child was my first solo Entry. I had contributed to group Entries before that.

What is your favorite Entry (of the ones you've written)?

That one, but I prefer the unedited version.

What is your favorite Entry by someone else?

A Short Guide To Short Words1 by Ben.

Do you belong to/have you started any clubs/societies/what-have-you on h2g2?

I used to belong to the BOF Inn.

Is that/are those club(s)/society(ies)/what-have-you(s) still active?

No, it isn’t.

Have you held any volunteer positions in the past?

Yes, I was a grammar guru.

Are you a current volunteer?

No.

Which elvised researcher do you miss most?

The Duke of Dunstable, and Nikki who started th4e British English thread.

Have you been an elvised researcher?

Yes, I couldn’t get on during the BBC’s “rule”.

What brought you back?

The hard work of (mostly) Pastey and others rejigging the site.

Have you been known by other names on h2g2 (not necessarily other accounts)?

I was Wand’rin’s Doppelganger for a bit when I couldn’t access my proper account.

Is there anything from h2g2's past that you miss?

Some of the sillinesses. Most of the modern entries seem very serious – like Wikipedia.

Is there anything from h2g2's past that you wish you hadn't witnessed?

A few online fights that resulted in researchers being permanently barred.

Have you been to any meets, of any size, whether "official" or not (meet=over a dozen, minimeet=6-12, micromeet=less than a half dozen)?

Yes.

How many?

A couple in Cleethorpes and one in Mannheim.

Was my self portrait there?

I’m sorry. I don’t think so.

If you've been to multiple meets, what's the farthest you've traveled to one?

To Mannheim in Germany. Hoping to go to France later this year.

Of course, due to delays on my part, "later this year" is now last year...

If I were to give you a mufflewhump, what would it turn into, keeping in mind that they can't turn into anything sapient nor anything that can act against the giver's (ie, my) interest, and that they only work on h2g2?

Had you even heard of mufflewhumps before the previous question?

Yes, but I don’t know what they are.

Directly from my PS:

A mufflewhump is whatever you want it to be, but it's always very wonderful. Therefore, mufflewhumps are the best gifts. They stay in their balls-of-unrealized-potential state3 until taken up by (or given to) someone who has a definite want, either conscious or unconscious. Mufflewhumps can become nearly anything4 the only limitations are that they can't become something sentient or something that can be used against the interests of the giver. They're quite handy, as well as being great gifts. I've often picked one up while concentrating and gotten things I need here on h2g2.

Have I given you one before?

No.

Did you know me before this interview?

Yes, in passing. I like reading about your home life.

smiley - blush

Thank you, Wand'rin!

Next time, we'll hear from Metal Chicken.

The Venerable Researchers Archive

Amy

24.03.14 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1I've linked to The History of the Short Guide, instead of theGuideitself, because there's not anything there, and somehow, I don't think Wand'rin was referring to the eventual Entry, The Origins and Common Usage of British Swear-words, though I could be wrong.22Reading it, I probably am.3Looking like sparkly rainbow dustbunnies4Most common seem to be foodstuff or pets

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87825586

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more