The spookiest thing about h2g2 is often…
The Creepy Edited Guide
The Guide is your source for information on Life, the Universe, and Everything. You may not have thought about the fact that the Guide, in places, can be downright scary. (No, Gnomon, misplaced commas do not count as scary.)
For your Halloween delectation, we at the Post have collected a must-read list of Guide Entries that will thrill you, amuse you, and quite possibly make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up.
Ghosts are part of Life, the Universe, and Everything, right? Life, after all, is often wasted on the living, as a wise man once said. Our Researchers have collected interesting ghost sightings over the years.
Pay attention to the movement you see out of the corner of your eye. And remember – don't split up.
- Haunted Houses by Zach Garland
- Ghosts by Jamie of the Portacabin
- Pennsylvania's Ghosts by Jimi X
- London Underground Ghosts by Jim the Mole
- How Not to Go A-Ghost Hunting by Madmum22
From Dracula to Buffy, vampires are a perennial Halloween fascination. Creepy, gross, threatening, cosmic, comic, or sexy, the guys and gals with the pointy teeth are here to stay. As director Dan Curtis said (often) to Jonathan Frid, aka Barnabas Collins, 'don't forget your fangs'.
- Dracula's Ancestors: Vampires Without the Dinner Jackets by Malabarista
- Varney the Vampire, or, Penny Dreadful Gothic by Dmitri Gheorgheni
- Dark Shadows, the TV Series by Dmitri Gheorgheni
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer, the TV Series by Smij – formerly Jimster
You think we can't do witches? Surprise. The Guide abounds with witchy and wizardy stuff that has nothing to do with those Hogwarts students. Sometimes, the Guide points out that witches are not necessarily bad people.
- Witches by Matt and Seraphina
- Matthew Hopkins, 'Witchfinder General' of East Anglia by Linda, Azara, and Mr Dreadful
- Wicca – A Legacy of Persecution by Menza
Besides things that bump around and make your knees knock, Halloween seems to be about things that make your stomach churn. At least, it does if you believe Hollywood. Not to be outdone, we include some of the most nauseating Entries1 ever to come across the cybertransom.
- The Sound of Mucus by Lonnytunes
- The Effluvia of the Human Body by Wandering Albatross and Edward the Bonobo
- Live Monkey Brains: Lunch or Legend? (in Peer Review) by swl
Do not read these Entries alone, or in the dark. (Or before dinner.)