A Conversation for Talking Point: Your worst day at work ever

Criminal accountants...

Post 1

DogManStar

There's a popular email that circulates many companies that has twenty 'You Know When You Work For A Telecoms/IT/Dotcom When...' lines on it. '... you try to get into your house with a swipecard', that kind of thing.

One of the rejoinders is '... you find out you've lost your job from a news broadcast'.

This actually happened to me - I work for Worldcom, and had been on annual leave when the £5 billion accounting fraud was uncovered, effectively sealing the fate of 17,000 UK and European employees.

Imagine my surprise.


Criminal accountants...

Post 2

Bebel Matman Owlatron's Thundercat Tshirt Dude

Oh dear.
Nearly the same thing- An insurance company I sold policies for on the phone lost their biggest contract to a very large bank. It was their bread and butter contract, everything depended on it.
As I was only there part time, it didnt mean that much to me, college was what mattered, so I was just stifling smiles the whole time when our bosses were telling us as the contract renewal came up;
"Ooh, um...we're not sure what's happening yet, we'll tell you when we do", when friends who worked in the city had already said;
"Oh, dude, bummer about your company Insuranceguys Ltd losing that massive contract with Verybigbank Plc" days earlier.


Criminal accountants...

Post 3

braindead_geordie

my dad once heard on a news report that he'd (well, the people in his union at his workplace) gone on strike. it was true, but it was also a bit unexpected.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more