Talking Point: Coincidences

50 Conversations

Radio - at the heart of coincidences?
An unnatural event in which something very unlikely happens at almost exactly the same time as, or very shortly afterwards, it has just been mentioned. Deeply seated in the Laws of Improbability and Chaos Theory, a coincidence is unlikely to happen unless you talk about it first.
- the Old h2g2 Writing Team

Life is a funny thing and the world can be very small. You head off on a round the world cruise, catch a taxi in a small far eastern city only to find out your taxi driver's brother was once engaged to your aunt. Only that very morning you were remarking that you ought to send her a postcard. Or perhaps you decided that you would visit an obscure art gallery only to find a long lost friend in the cloakroom. People love a good coincidence - it litters our literature and culture. Think Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here and The Wizard of Oz. I bet you didn't know that there was a tornado in Kansas the day Judy Garland died.

Other people argue that coincidence is nothing of the sort. For example, in a random a selection of 23 h2g2 Researchers there is a 50/50 chance that two of them will share the same birthday. This is not a coincidence but mathematically probable. Equally Kansas has a lot of tornadoes.

This week, we want to know...

  • Do you believe in coincidence?

  • Or do the laws of chance mean that sometimes bizarre things are going to happen?

  • Have you ever experienced a bizarre coincidence?

  • Have you ever met a long lost friend in a strange and unlikely place?

  • Do you have a number that appears regularly in your life?

  • Have you known the instant that something happened to a close friend or relative?

  • Or is it all a load of rubbish?

A325775A568721http://www.csicop.org/si/9809/coincidence.html

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A830477

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more