A Conversation for blagafs

Who has sabotaged our grass courts?

Post 1

caper_plip

At 7:00am, one of the club groundsstaff was testing the grass on the Patrick Rafter Centre Court, and to their dismay, discovered that the soil had been changed to a clay type!smiley - yikes

Although the Club houses a selection of excellent clay courts, it appears that someone stole into the Club between 4:00am and 6:30am, sliced off the grass surface, placed a layer of clay soil underneath and replaced the grass!

Many of the players, especially the grass-court specialists, are horrified at this act and find it difficult to believe and play on. We need your help to find out who could have done this, and finally restore our grass courts to their original state.

That means that the smiley - tennisball bounces low and fast, and not high and slowsmiley - cross I am quite annoyed.

Caper Plipsmiley - borgsmiley - tennisball


At this stage I have no idea

Post 2

Zak T Duck

*Examines the court with a magnifying glass*

hmmm, whoever it is seems to have covered their tracks pretty well.

*Goes off in search of other clues*


At this stage I have no idea

Post 3

caper_plip

The authorities will let me release some clues tomorrow, they tell me.

Have you popped into the Banquetting Hall? I believe Swiv is brewing up some cocktails for everyone (especially a certain Xavier Malisse).


At this stage I have no idea

Post 4

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

Are you sure the grass has been replaced by clay? Perhaps this is just the initial preparation for a new inter-galactic highway smiley - yikes


At this stage I have no idea

Post 5

caper_plip

Positively certain.

Would you like some smiley - bubbly? Most of the Management (well, the three of ussmiley - winkeye) have taken time off from the mystery to have a party instead here:

F93677?thread=194461

I will put some clues for detectives to think about at some point...


The First Clue!

Post 6

caper_plip

One of the groundsmen was out walking his border collie (as you do) in the early morning. He doesn't know what time, but imagines it to be around 5:30am as he left home at around 5:15am.

He says that he walked past the Clay Pigeon Court and could see the silhouette of someone at least 6ft tall striding around. He also says that he could hear someone humming 'La Cucharacha', but cannot discern its location...


The First Clue!

Post 7

Swiv (decrepit postgrad)

*promptly books flight to Spain*


The First Clue!

Post 8

caper_plip

This could turn out to be a very interesting mystery indeed...smiley - winkeye


The First Clue!

Post 9

Swiv (decrepit postgrad)

Well, I packed my flamenco dress
(or is that national stereotyping?)

*goes on to unpack magnifying glass, notebook and camera*


The First Clue!

Post 10

caper_plip

I don't think it'd be stereotypingsmiley - smiley Just carry on with what your doing...smiley - smiley


The First Clue!

Post 11

Swiv (decrepit postgrad)

*isn't really sure what she's doing*

puts on frock so as not to look too conspicous in hunting gear


The Second Clue!

Post 12

caper_plip

CCTV shows that the main door to the New Balls Barracks was closed at 5:00am, but there was a glitch in the circuit from 5:25am to 5:45am. At 5:45am the door was closed, but it was slightly ajar.

In the morning, several of the players had contracted a little cold, which could only have been caused by an open window or the door being opened, having been a chilly night. There was also a strange orange dust near Marat Safin's barracks...


The Second Clue!

Post 13

Swiv (decrepit postgrad)

*marches into barracks and clicks castanets*

All right, own up please - who was out on the tennis courts at 5:30 this morning? own up - or I'll cut your practise for Wimbledon next year.


The Second Clue!

Post 14

caper_plip

smiley - laugh

Strange way of going about it... would you like another clue?


The Second Clue!

Post 15

Swiv (decrepit postgrad)

smiley - smiley
well, I didn't have a better plan - and I rather liked the idea of invading the barracks...


The Second Clue!

Post 16

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

So I gather that the players stay overnight in the barracks. Perhaps there's many a vegetarian among them, and, making use of the early morning dew hours, they have eaten all the grass and left the underlying clay layer behind?


The Second Clue!

Post 17

Swiv (decrepit postgrad)

actually - maybe one of them's turned rancher

*puts ear to ground to try and hear lowing*


The Second Clue!

Post 18

caper_plip

smiley - huh

...right...smiley - erm But that's not the answersmiley - smiley

Perhaps I'll stick in an account from one of the players as the third clue...


The Second Clue!

Post 19

Swiv (decrepit postgrad)

you do that
smiley - smiley


The Third Clue!

Post 20

caper_plip

Xavier Malissesmiley - winkeye says that he was woken by someone humming 'La Cucharacha' in the barracks next to his. He knew it wasn't a Spaniard as no Spaniard in their right mind would hum that, but he couldn't remember who it was.

He knows definitely that Marat Safin and Jan-Michael Gambill were going out for an early practice session, but he saw the figure of a woman go down the corridor past the New Balls Barracks. He guessed that she was just under 6 feet tall, and by the way she was holding her racquet was right-handed with a doubled-handed backhand. He's not sure though...

(Hint: You may need to do some research for this)


Key: Complain about this post