Countries of the World.

6 Conversations

The world has just over 200 countries. Many are represented in the Guide, and many are represented here by citizen researchers.

What is a Country?

It's a more malleable term than you might think. Does it mean an area with an independent government? An independent economy? Independent laws? Do you have to have your own economy or just your own flag? Membership of the United Nations or a fifa recognised football team? In practice some countries are only semi-autonomous, and many governments run 'countries that no longer have borders!

The Encyclopaedia Galactica 1 allows two distinct meanings for 'Country':

1. The territory of a nation, with it's own government; a state.

2. A territory possessing it's own language, people, culture etc.

So defined by social boundaries as much as geographic ones, we can see how central the idea of 'nationhood' is to that of the country, above and beyond being an artificial Political structure countries are it seems a political need

States, Nations and Nationalism.

The desire for a 'nation-state' can both create and deny the existence of countries. It was Jewish nationalism (or Zionism) which lead to the establishment of the state of Israel, creating a homeland for a nation people who had long since dispersed around the globe. A nation whose people had neither land nor government. It was however only once this nationalist movement was ignited by the impetus of militancy, anger and fear generated by the genocidal crimes of the second world war that the drive for a state was achieved, and only due to these exceptional circumstances (and possibly no little guilt) that it was accepted by much of the outside world.

The Roma Gypseys were also subject to the pogroms of the Third Riech - however their susequent fate has differed massively to that of the Jews. A visiter to the Auswitz-Berkenau National Museum in Poland where thousands of Jews, Gypseys and Communists were murdered in the last years of the war is reminded by the guides to remmeber the attrocities commited against the Roma people "who are forgotten as they have no state to represent them". Prejudice and injustice against gypseys is as prevelent as ever, and even in these 'politically correct' times is seen as fairly aceptable, wheras anti-semitism is - thanks to the lobby of the Israeli state - both unacceptable and limited to fringe groups (or to those nations which Israel has chosen as it's enemies).

The Kurdish people have never left their homelands - yet their lack of power and influence has denied them their own state and their homeland is divided between a number of other countries.


The example of Israel is doubly relevant, for where the Zionist dream created a new state that same spirit of nationalism now withholds the status of 'country' from the Palestinians whose occupied territories Israel insists are not within it's own borders, the Palestinians then have both a people and a homeland, but are still denied 'country' status, this time by a nation.

A nation state is therefore power, legitimacy a place in history.

So who decides?

If government exists, but that government is not 'recognised' by outside countries and institutions - as was the case with the Afghani Taliban regime - the area does not cease to be a country - the name 'Afghanistan's was not removed from atlases and replaced by the legend 'to be confirmed'. Equally when a country involved in protracted civil war is divided by separate regimes - such as has been the case in Colombia for several years, with some half of the country being administered by the national Government and half (through mutual agreement) by the rebel guerrilla forces FARC - the world still views this as one country rather than two independent states, but a single country divided by a line of control separating two independent governments.

It is then as much the decision of the outside world, whether your nation is allowed to have a state, and whether that nation-state once won, will be allowed to be a country. The case of Taiwan is an interesting one, technically it remains part of China, and the People's Republic still lays claim to it, though US backing of the Nationalist movement their ensure the revolution never reached the island. While the US (and many of it's allies recognise it as independent, China, and perhaps most importantly, a good deal of Taiwan's own population regard it as part of a greater China.

The united kingdoms divided?
United Kingdom - Devolution / Northern Ireland Dominion / Isle of Man
The Former Jugoslavia - Kosovo
The Soviet Union - Chechnya

'Virtual country'

East Timorese until recently had no domain on the Internet of their own. Anyone wishing to go online had to use Indonesia's domain (.id) or that of another country.
But just over a year ago, the 1996 Nobel Prize winners, Jose Ramos Horta , Bishop Belo initiated, along with Internet service provider Connect-Ireland an East Timorese Internet domain (.tp) - giving East Timor a presence as a 'virtual country' on the Net.

The site was soon forced to shut down when a highly organised attack, for which the Indonesian government was blamed, brought down the East Timor virtual country domain.

Despite these problems, the site East Timor World under the wing of the Free East Timor site is up and running and gives an extensive range of links to East Timorese sources on the Internet. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/263169.stm

Power, Population and Size

So what makes nations powerful? The Russian Federation covers an area of 147,386,000 Km2, the largest country in the world, with all the natural resources and population that great size brings with it, being the seventh most populous country, and the fifteenth richest (GNP). In it's time this has brought great prestige and power upon the world stage - however, to consider the GDP per-capita


So any country that seeks to be economically autonomous must have enough area (therefore resorses) to sustain its population.

So how many countries are there?

The UN has 189 member statesFor a list of members, non-members and 'entities' view www.un.org , recognises 2 non-member states (Holy See and Switzerland) and 1 'Entity' (Palestine). Does this make Palestine a country - or by being designated this special status is it denied it by a trick of the tongue? Taiwan however has no separate status in the UN. And yet almost all governments treat it as such.

The world of sport on the other hand seem far more inclusive. The International Olympic Committee recognises 199 committee countriesFor a list IOC's view the page at the Official Website of the Olympic Movement www.olympic.org , and FIFA recognises 203 national teamsFor a list of competing nations and their world rankings view the international league table at the official fifa website www.fifa.com, both including Palestine (Fifa ranking 147) and 'Chinese Taipei' (172), while neither has representation from the Holy See, despite Pope J-P2's goalkeeping past.

Countries represented in the Guide

Here however is a list of all the major countries of the world, along with a few interesting statistics regarding Life (population), the Universse (landmass) and Everything (wealth) and referenced guide entries:

People's Republic of China 9,600,000 1,273,112,000 (7) $1055372m
India 3,166,830 1,029,992,000 (15) $357391m
USA 9,400,00 278,059,000 (1) $7783092m
Indonisia 1,919,445 228,438,000 (23) $221533m
BRASIL 8,511,965 174,469,000 (8) $784044m
Russia 17,000,000 145,471, (13) $394861m
Pakistan 803,940 144,616,639 (45) $64638m
Bangladesh 144,000 131,271,000 (51) $44090m
Japan 369,700 126,772,000 (2) $4812103m
Nigeria 923,850 126,636,000 (55) $33393m
Mexico 1,972,545 109,080,000 (16) $348627m

GERMANY 357,868 83,030,000 (3) $2320985m
Philippines 300,000 82,842,000
Vietnam 329,565 79,340,000
Egypt 1,000,250 69,535,000
Turkey 779,450 66,494,000 (24) $199433m
Iran 1,648,000 66,129,000
Ethiopia 1,221,900 65,892,000
Thailand 514,000 61,798,000
United Kingdom 240,000 59,647,000 (5) $1231269m
FRANCE 543,965 59,552,000 (4) $1541630m
ITALY 301,245 57,680,000 (6) $1160444m
Zaire 2,345,410 53,625,000
Ukraine 603,700 51,704,000
South Korea 98,445 47,905,000 (11) $485209m
SOUTH AFRICA 1,184,825 43,586,000
Myanma 678,030 41,995,000
SPAIN 504,880 40,039,000 (10) $569637m
Colombia 1,138,915 40,349,000
Poland 312,685 38,634,000
Argentina 2,777,815 37,385,000 (17) $319293m
Sudan 2,505,815 36,081,000
Tanzania 939,760 35,318,000
Algeria 2,381,745 31,737,000
CANADA 9,922,385 31,593,000 (9) $594976m
Kenya 582,645 30,766,000
Morocco 710,850 30,646,000
Peru 1,285,215 27,489,000
Uzbekistan 447,400 25,156,000
Romania 237,500 22,365,000
NORTH KOREA 122,310 21,969,000
Taiwan 35,990 22,371,000 (20) $247000m
Venezuela 912,045 19,735,000
AUSTRALIA 7,682,300 17,358,000 (14) $382705m
Nepal 141,415 19,143,000
Iraq 438,445 18,920,000
Uganda 236,580 18,794,000
Malaysia 332,965 17,891,000
Sri Lanka 65,610 17,217,000

Kazakhstan 2,717,300 16,538,000
Afganistan 652,225 16,110,000
Mosambique 784,755 15,656,000
Ghana 238,305 15,028,000
NETHERLANDS 41,160 14,951,000 (12) $403057m
Saudi Arabia 2,400,900 14,134,000
Chile 751,625 13,175,000
Jugoslavia 127,885 13,047,000
Syria 185,680 12,530,000
Madagascar 594,180 12,004,000
Cote d'Ivoire 322,465 11,997,000
Cameroon 475,500 11,833,000
Yemen 481,155 11,687,000
HUNGARY 93,030 10,552,000
Czech Republic 78,866 10,356,000
PORTUGAL 91,630 10,285,000
Belorus 208,000 10,200,000
GREECE 131,985 10,047,000
Angola 1,246,700 10,020,000
BELGIUM 30,520 9,846,000 (19) $272382m
Zimbabwe 390,310 9,709,000
Mali 1,240,140 9,214,000
Guatemala 108,890 9,197,000
Bulgaria 110,910 9,010,000
Burkina Faso 274,200 8,996,000
Sweden 449,790 8,954,000 (21) $231905m
Malawi 94,080 8,754,000
Zambia 752,615 8,452,000
Cambodia 181,000 8,246,000
Tunisia 164,150 8,180,000
Niger 1,186,410 7,731,000
AUSTRIA 83,855 7,583,000 (22) $225373m
Somalia 630,000 7,497,000
Sengal 196,720 7,327,000
Bolivia 1,098,575 7,314,000
Switzerland 41,285 7,309,000 (18) $305238m
Rwanda 26,330 7,237,000
Dominican Republic 48,440 7,170,000
Azerbaijan 87,000 7,029,000
Haiti 27,750 6,513,000
Guinea 245,855 5,755,000
Chad 1,284,000 5,678,000
Burundi 27,835 5,472,000
Georgia 69,700 5,449,000
Slovakia 48,845 5,403,000
DENMARK 43,075 5,398,000 (25) $184347m
El Salvador 21,395 5,252,000
HONDURAS 112,085 5,138,000
Tajikistan 143,100 5,112,000
Finland 337,030 4,975,000
Benin 112,620 4,630,000
Croatia 56,540 4,601,000
Israel 20,770 4,600,000
Libya 1,756,540 4,545,000
Bosnia-Hersegovina 51,130 4,363,000
Moldova 33,700 4,341,000
Kyrgystan 198,500 4,291,000
Eritrea 121,320 4,298,269
Paraguay 406,750 4,277,000
Norway 323,895 4,212,000
Sierra Leone 72,325 4,151,000
Laos 236,725 4,139,000
JORDAN 96,000 4,009,000
Puerto Rico 3,937,316
PAPUA NEW GUINEA 462,840 3,874,000
Nicaragua 148,000 3,871,000
Ireland 68,895 3,720,000
Eritrea 121,320 3,703,000
Lithuania 65,200 3,690,000
Turkmenistan 488,100 3,534,000
Togo 56,785 3,531,000
NEW ZEALAND 265,150 3,392,000
Palestine 6,220 3,269,000
Armenia 30,000 3,283,000
Albania 28,750 3,245,000
Uruguay 186,925 3,094,000
Central African Republic 624,975 3,039,000
Costa Rica 50,900 3,015,000
Singapore 616 2,723,000
Lebanon 10,400 2,701,000
Latvia 63,700 2,681,000
Liberia 111,370 2,575,000
Jamaca 11,425 2,456,000
Panama 78,515 2,418,000
Mongolia 1,565,000 2,190,000
Congo 324,000 2,271,000
Macedonia 25,333 2,047,209
Kuwait 24,280 2,039,000
Mauritainia 1,030,700 2,024,000
Slovenia 20,250 1,940,000
Namibia 824,295 1,781,000
Lesotho 30,345 1,774,000
UNITED ARAB EMIRATES 75,150 1,589,000
Estonia 45,100 1,573,000
Bhutan 46,620 1,516,000
Oman 271,950 1,502,000
Botswana 575,000 1,304,000
Trinidad and Tobago 5,130 1,281,000
Gabon 267,665 1,172,000
Swaziland 17,363 1,105,000
Mauritius 1,865 1,082,000
Guinea Bissau 36,125 964,000
Gambia 10,690 861,000
East Timor 18,997 800,000
Guyana 214,970 796,000
Fiji 18,330 764,000
Cyprus 9,250 701,000
Bahrain 661 516,000
Suriname 163,270 434,000
DJIBOUTI 23,000 409,000
Luxembourg 2,585 373,000
Cape Verde 4,035 370,000
Qatar 11,435 368,000
MALTA 316 353,000
Equatorial Guinea 28,050 352,000
Solomon Islands 29,790 320,000
Brunei 5,765 266,000
Barbados 430 255,000
ICELAND 102,820 253,000
Bahamas 13,865 253,000
Maldives 298 215,000
Belize 22,965 187,000
Western Samoa 2,840 168,000
Vanuatu 14,765 158,000
St Lucia 616 150,000
Sao Tome and Principe 964 121,000
St Vincent and Grenadines 389 116,000


Micronesia 1,300 99,000
Tonga 699 95,000
Grenada 345 85,000
Dominica 751 82,000
Antigua and Barbuda 442 76,000
Isle of Man 572 73,000
Aruba 193 70,000
Seychelles 404 69,000
American Samoa 199 67,000
Kiribati 684 66,000
Greenland 2,175,600 56,000
Andorra 465 50,000
Faroe Islands 1,399 46,000
St Kitts-Nevis 261 44,000
Marshall Islands 180 41,000
Cayman Islands 259 36,000
Liechtenstein 160 28,000
Monaco 2 28,000
San Marino 61 23,000
Cook Islands 240 21,000
Palau 18,000
Tuvalu 25 9,000
NAURU 21 9,000
Montseratt 100 7,574
Niue 260 2,124
Holy See 0.44 890

1Oxford English Dictionary

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A767306

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more