A Conversation for Reviews of the books of Terry Pratchett's Discworld

Eric

Post 1

[...]


Faust, "the debt that must be repayed."

Highly relevant to this book especially when it's crossed out on the cover.

Rincewind is certainly the most well traversed person on the Disc barring, of course, the gods and Death.
After that nasty business with the Sourcerer (a Rincewind book ago), the Wizzard is in a whole different kind of place he doesn't want to be.

Enter Eric Thursley (13 Midden Lane, Pseudopolis, Sto Plains, The Discworld, On top of Great A'tuin, The Univers, Space. nr. More Space) to get him out of it... by accident.
As rules go, Rincewind owes the kid three wishes: Immortality, rule the world, have the most beautiful women fall in love with him.

You know, the usual.

And thus off sets an adventure that will take the two to Hell and back while Rincewind discovers some whole new things he can do with his fingers...




Can this be called a novel? Well it's 155 pages, 150 if you don't count the title and copyright... so yes it's a novel, the bookcover says so!

The actual shortness of the book creates a more relaxed reading experience and works to more of a taster for the next Dicworld book to come along.
Vice versa, the shortness creates a more rapid narrative which is by no means a bad thing a book which works more like a Hows How to the inner workings of the Disc.

Altogether the book comes across more as a bridge from Sourcery to Interesting Times especially if you don't collect the Victor Gollancz books which will offset the reader's continuity a bit.

Oh and Mistrum Ridcully still hasn't become Archchancellor yet. Boo!


smiley - starsmiley - starsmiley - star


Eric

Post 2

Geggs

Hmm. Do you have the original book, with all the paintings by Josh Kirby, or the plain text version?

Not sure about calling Rincewind 'well traversed' though. It makes it sound like a lot of people have walked over him! Then again, that does sound about right...


Geggs


Eric

Post 3

[...]

Plain text version, that's why I didn't mention the drawings.


I meant travelled....


Eric

Post 4

Researcher 185550

Sorry about the delay, sorry about the delay! Your review is up there now, [HPB] -- and many thanks to you! smiley - ok

I'm just going off to do Maskerade and the other one that GodBen posted, and I've given the front page a minor overhaul.


Eric

Post 5

[...]

Well... the Light Fantastic anyway.


Eric

Post 6

[...]

Wrong thread... smiley - erm


Eric

Post 7

Researcher 185550

Well I shall go to the PA thread directly then...


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more