A Conversation for Reviews of the books of Terry Pratchett's Discworld

Small Gods

Post 1

[...]


Brutha the novice is the Chosen One. Chosen because he is the only one.

Strange things are going down in the country of Omnia with the Quisition preaching a Word which one small tortoise does not want to hear.

There's also the matter of these strange poeple believing the world travels on the back of a giant turtle to deal with...



Small Gods is prehaps the most unique of the Discworld books. Though the early independent character stories have sometimes seemed not up to Pratchett standard, SG manages to bring a humourous and entertaining story while still tackling the question of when belief becomes religion then fanatacism then gets too far.

SG is also the only the book that seems toecape the 'present' timeline. Night Watch goes into the past but Small Gods /is/ the past. What happens here affects a few minor characters in the later novels.

Readers could be put off by the mainly two-'man' interaction that is the bulk of SG: Brutha and Om and for me, I didn't understand what was going on with Lu-Tze until he popped up in Thief of Time but that could be just me. St. Ungalant is a character who needs bigger 'screen' time.

Not a book for those who are easily offended in their religious beliefs.

smiley - starsmiley - starsmiley - starsmiley - star


There, now my reviews are equal in number to you Roadkill!


Small Gods

Post 2

Researcher 185550

smiley - biggrin

I thought you had exceeded my number long ago...

Anyway, a big grin, shown above, spread over my face when I saw this as the most recent conversation on my conversation list, because I was gradually accepting the possibility that I might have to review it myself.

Thanks, it's up there.


Small Gods

Post 3

[...]

For some reason i put off reviewing my favourite book...


Small Gods

Post 4

Researcher 185550

What is your favourite book?


Small Gods

Post 5

[...]

Small gods


Small Gods

Post 6

Researcher 185550

Oh, right. I see. I was going to put "RESERVED FOR [HPB]" in big red letters next to the appropriate title.


Small Gods

Post 7

[...]

Really?!


Small Gods

Post 8

[...]

You do have Going postal to add you know!


Small Gods

Post 9

Researcher 185550

Oh yes, that's a kids' book isn't it?

And yes, really.


Small Gods

Post 10

[...]

No it's novel #29....



Small Gods

Post 11

Researcher 185550

Which category?


Small Gods

Post 12

[...]

Independent i think.


Small Gods

Post 13

Researcher 185550

Excellent, i'll put it up smiley - ta.


Small Gods

Post 14

[...]

I've mentioned more on the 'main' thread PA.


Small Gods

Post 15

Researcher 185550

Yeah, I saw smiley - ok thanks.


Key: Complain about this post