A Conversation for Talking Point: Contraception and Sexual Health

Contraception

Post 1

Lady of the Lake {A friend to all, a lover of none}

There are various means of contraception.

The contraceptive pill is only 99% safe so don't rely on it totally, if the woman is very fertile then she can still fall pregnant while taking it, even if she takes it religously at the same time every day and the pill will not protect you from sexually transmitted diseases.

Condoms, while protecting you from sexually transmitted diseases and from starting an unwanted pregnancy to a fairly high level, they are not totally safe, they can still get damaged or worse still slip off so don't rely on them for 100% protection.

The Cap, this can only be obtained through your doctor or family planning clinic and is used with a barrier cream, it is not very practical as it has to be inserted by the woman a short time before she has sex which means that it can only be used for planned sex and again is not 100% safe and will not preotect you from sexually transmitted diseases.

The coil, again this can only be obtained through your doctor as it has to be specially fitted, it is not 100% safe and not all woman can have it and it again doesn't protect against diseases.

The safest contraception available at present is: Using a condom and one of the other methods together.


Contraception

Post 2

Ek* this space intentionally left blank *ki

To be vaguely pedantic, the safest form of contraception is abstinence but where's the fun in that ...


Contraception

Post 3

Mina

Ekki, loads of fun can be had without taking pants off!


Contraception

Post 4

Ek* this space intentionally left blank *ki

smiley - yikes

it can?

smiley - winkeye


Contraception

Post 5

Mina

So I've heard. smiley - angel


Contraception

Post 6

the other omylouse "multiply (1*6) by (6*1+0+3)!"

extra figure for you: condoms are 95% effective (i think thats what the lady said...)

omy smiley - cheerup


Contraception

Post 7

Phryne- 'Best Suppurating Actress'

I always heard/read/was advised that the pill is 99.9% effective, or at least less than 1% of users will become pregnant and that sounds like a safe bet considering those who don't take it properly.


Key: Complain about this post