A Conversation for The H2G2 Cycling Club

Membership

Post 41

Flumpy

Oooh How exciting some has replied to my message.
Thanks smiley - biggrin

I'm actually in the Cotswolds, Stroud area.

Where abouts are you?

I've just seen this website on the South Downs Way Randonneé 100 mile off road in one day...that just mental!!! Have you done this??


Membership

Post 42

Just zis Guy, you know? † Cyclist [A690572] :: At the 51st centile of ursine intelligence

I've done 100 mile rides around the Chilterns and Watership Down, but that's about it. I'm in Reading.


Membership

Post 43

Flumpy

Hello again,

When you did your 100 miles was it on or off road?smiley - erm

How long did it take you to cycle 100 miles? Were you on a road or mountain bike?

I'm thinking of cycling to Mid Wales one weekend. I reckon I could do it in a couple of days.

Do you have any tips for this type of ride?

Also I've been in a bit of a dilemma over waterproofssmiley - wah...and since the rain has arrived with such a vengence, it's got me searching again.
What kind of waterproof do you use? I'm not sure whether to go for a goretex (expensive) jacket or something a bit cheaper, just as waterproof but less breathable...because nothing is ever that breathable on a bikesmiley - sadface

cheerssmiley - ok


Membership

Post 44

Researcher 208428

Logging on and joining in from NanChang, China. Was a bicycle mechanic, now an English teacher. Vocation? Lifelong cyclist.
While bicycles are sort of common here in China, cycle clubs aren't, so joining an on line club suitable for me right now.
What do I ride? Anything that fits (I'm 6"2 with size 12 feet, making me roughly 3 times the size of the average Southern Chinese grandmother. Riht now what fits is a "Yeah" single speed folder built by Dahon. What do I want to ride? My beloved "Tom Board" tourer, risiding for five years in my Mothers garage (in NZ) while I work my way round the Pacific rim, buying, riding, selling and giving away lesser ironmongery.

[email protected]


Membership

Post 45

Just zis Guy, you know? † Cyclist [A690572] :: At the 51st centile of ursine intelligence

The usual 100 mile route from Reading starts at Dinton Pastures, heads out through Silchester and the like, and - well I can't really remember much of it except that wherever there is a hill the route goes up it! I missed it this year, unfortunately, I was hoping to beat my rather disappointing performance last yer (from memory it took nearly 7 1/2 hours, due to a pulled muscle shortly after 45 miles, and stopping for tea on the way back). I should be able to do it in six, on a good day, but probably not on the recumbent.


Membership

Post 46

Just zis Guy, you know? † Cyclist [A690572] :: At the 51st centile of ursine intelligence

Oh, waterproofs. Don't even think about staying dry. Accept that you'll get wet, and buy something that's comfortable - Altura do loads of decent waterproofs at sensible prices. Gore-tex is nice, but above 25mph the breathability seems to start working in reverse smiley - smiley

The crucial thing is to use really good bike bags - Ortlieb or VauDe - which allow you to take dry clothes with you. Or rather, which allow your dry clothes to actually be dry when you get there smiley - smiley


Membership

Post 47

sprout

I'm a cyclist!

I commute to work every day on my bike - only 10 minutes but it gets the blood circulating.

I like to cycle in the forest at the weekends as well

Sign me up!

Sprout


Membership

Post 48

Just zis Guy, you know? † Cyclist [A690572] :: At the 51st centile of ursine intelligence

Duly singed up, welcome. I've been doing a bit of work on my own site lately, www.chapmancentral.com - pictures of my bike on there. Sad, innit?


Membership

Post 49

Marjin, After a long time of procrastination back lurking

I'm a cyclist! U178834.
Being Dutch, I was almost born on a bicycle.
My wife and I like to make tours of 40-70 kms in summer, and in the future we hope to get a lie-down bike, or whatever they are called in English.


Membership

Post 50

Just zis Guy, you know? † Cyclist [A690572] :: At the 51st centile of ursine intelligence

Hi Marijn, the English for ligfiets is "recumbent" (usually shortened to bent by those of us who ride them). Mine was made in Holland.

Is Marijn a common name? I knew a man called Marijn in den Bosch.

Cheers, JzG


Membership

Post 51

Mycelium

I'm still a cyclist at heart. My Specialized racer is hanging on the wall 'cos I refuse to sell it. I broke my neck 2 years ago after landing my off-roader badly.

Still living the dream, though. Got myself a tidy wheelchair: minimal titanium frame narrow(25mm), slick tyres, cambered wheels, chrome & metalic blue finish. pukka.

can I be an honorary member?


Membership

Post 52

Marjin, After a long time of procrastination back lurking

Sorry JzG, dropped out of sight.

My name is not really common, but also not completely rare. The funny thing is, it is being used for boys and girls equally.


Membership

Post 53

Just zis Guy, you know? † Cyclist [A690572] :: At the 51st centile of ursine intelligence

An honorary underground member, even smiley - smiley


Membership

Post 54

Number Six

I'm a cyclist!


Membership

Post 55

Just zis Guy, you know? † Cyclist [A690572] :: At the 51st centile of ursine intelligence

But not a number .....


Membership

Post 56

Number Six

True! I used to cycle every day from Walthamstow to London Bridge (racing the 141 bus used to be a particular speciality of mine, I used to pass about 3 every morning - and I used to believe I could out-accelerate anything away from the traffic lights at the end of King William Street on to London Bridge), but my current job precludes cycle-based commuting because it involves 10-hour shifts either starting very early or ending very late, and you're always too knackered to cycle safely...

However I'm back on to office hours in the new year so I should make my long-awaited (well, by me, at any rate) comeback in January.


Membership

Post 57

Just zis Guy, you know? † Cyclist [A690572] :: At the 51st centile of ursine intelligence

Hurrah! The more the merrier smiley - smiley


Membership

Post 58

Born-again Cyclist

I'm a cyclist!

If this is what it takes to get cycling taken seriously, then count me in. As a regular Monday to Friday cyclist, I do hope you don't plan on doing any 'Sunday Club Rides' I reserve Sundays for washing the week's muck off my bike, some Sundays I actually do wash my bike!

Here's hoping I can add some stuff of my own to the already great cycling content on h2g2.

Terry.


Membership

Post 59

Just zis Guy, you know? † Cyclist [A690572] :: At the 51st centile of ursine intelligence

Welcome, Terry (maker of saddles, I note). Have a banana smiley - smiley


Membership

Post 60

Recumbentman

I'm a cyclist! More than that, a PDQ rider. See A891830 Cycling: the future is laidback.

Include me in smiley - stout!

~Recumbentman


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more